uncertainty principle

by ballistic 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

6. The brain is a "dissipative structure" and self-organizes around a least-action principle of minimizing a certain uncertainty relation.

This quote is actually talking about the "uncertainty principle" - part of quantum physics... but it made me think of something else,

do you find as you get older, you become less obsessed with working out all possible outcomes of a situation and trust your senses, or even yourself to determine a course of action. In other words problems become less about their inherant parts, but more about what you have established as fact?

• ballistic
    ballistic

I bet you 10 dollars no one replies to this thread.

• kls
    kls

50 bucks and you have a deal OOPS

You tricked me

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    The brain is a "dissipative structure" and self-organizes around a least-action principle of minimizing a certain uncertainty relation.

I find this statement by itself confusing. What is suppose to be meant by 'least-action principle'? Is that implying the brain is lazy, and if so, what does this half to do with the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in physics basicly states that you cannot know a particles momentum and position at he same time, I cannot see the corelation with brain activity. If there is one I would like to know.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well Heisenberg you have lost your bet

• MissBehave
    MissBehave
    do you find as you get older, you become less obsessed with working out all possible outcomes of a situation and trust your senses, or even yourself to determine a course of action.

Absolutely. I tend to agonize less about all the possible avenues to take in a situation and having to pick one. I'm more at a place now in my life where I rely on my intuition or instinct (which probably is really just a combo of past experience and knowledge) and know that it will lead me in the right direction...which is a really peaceful kind of place to be. For a time I thought it was just maturity, but I've dared recently to take it a step further and think that perhaps I've acquired some of that wisdom stuff that supposedly comes with age

• ballistic
    ballistic

I don't really know how to sum up than by quoting the whole article here: http://www.acsa2000.net/bcngroup/jponkp/#chap4

I wouldn't describe the brain as lazy, but just doing the best job it can given the universe we live in.

• ballistic
    ballistic

hey, missbehave has it as regards the purpose of the post.

• damselfly
    damselfly

As I get older I am trusting my instincts more but I still run through all possible scenarios "just to be sure" I need to know wht "might" happen so I can have a plan in case it does.

Dams

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Personally training to be a scientist you try and teach your self not to rely on your own knowledge and always question things, don't take them for granted. Many a teacher out there will make statements or use figures that aren't correct, so I've trained myself to be critical of evidence that is presented. This is why I can now never be a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit