inactive J.W.'s- R they witnesses or not?

by Chico86 11 Replies latest social humour

• Chico86
    Chico86

Are inactive J.W.s still considered J.W.s or as having left the truth? I get confused because some people talk about family members who are inactive, but say that they are not in the truth.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Technically, they are. But for all purposes, they may not be considered JW's any longer because they may be living a "wordly" life yet have not been df'd for some reason. It's just sort of one of those things where you'd have to know the situation to really give an answer. But to answer your question specifically, yes they are considered JW's since they have no been disfellowshipped.

• Highlander
    Highlander

as mentioned, it depends on the situation. but I believe that officially after a certain times passes, whether it is 6 months or 2 years that person is not considered a witness.

Obivously someone that's inactive for less than a year will be viewed as "spiritually weak" however someone that's been out for 10 years,, defintely won't be considered

to be a witness. However there's exceptions,, some familys might view it differently, but as a whole,, inactive are not witnesses.

For myself, I'm an exception,, I Moved 2000 miles away from my 100 jw relatives,, I'm inactive to the local congregation but my family, being far away, think that

everything is all fine and dandy.

• blondie
    blondie

Inactive witnesses are no longer counted in the numbers/stats but the WTS just can't decide if they are still JWs. Some times they say they are still part of the flock and then they say that if they don't "witness" they aren't. I heard of an illustration that a kind elder used, if a JW was in the hospital and couldn't communicate because of illness, couldn't turn time in, were they still a witness, "yes." So if someone were spiritually ill, were they still a JW, "yes."

While other elders will be cruel and say that if you don't preach you are no longer a JW...which sounds like a DAing statement.

w57 2/15 p. 114 How Jehovah’s Witnesses View Their Ministry ***

If one does not witness, he is not one of Jehovah’s witnesses. To call ourselves witnesses of Jehovah and then to refrain from witnessing, which is ministering, would be taking Jehovah’s name in a vain or worthless way.

w59 12/1 p. 722 "Prove Yourselves My Disciples" ***

All who are counted as Jehovah’s witnesses are active preachers of the good news meeting the Biblical standard of morals, since an inactive Christian or one not meeting the standard is not a Christian at all. He is not a witness for Jehovah

*** w82 1/15 p. 31 Questions from Readers ***

The

Watchtower of September 15, 1981, page 23, showed that there is a difference between (a) a Christian who becomes spiritually weak and inactive, and (b) a person who clearly renounces his being one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, leading the congregation elders to announce that he has "disassociated" himself. It seems that your son fits the first description.

The

Watchtower mentioned that some Christians become weak in faith and spirituality. This occurred also in the first century. (Romans 14:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 11:30) It does not mean that they have ceased to be Christians. Even if they become so weak that they no longer share the "good news" with others and stop attending meetings, and they are not bringing reproach on the Christian congregation, they are still to be regarded as our spiritual brothers and sisters. We should want to help them lovingly, following the apostle Paul’s counsel: "We exhort you, brothers, admonish the disorderly, speak consolingly to the depressed souls, support the weak, be long-suffering toward all.

*** w82 4/15 pp. 23-24 Enduring Joyfully Despite Persecution ***

Yet if we did not preach or hold meetings, we would not be witnesses of Jehovah God or Christ Jesus, since a witness who does not say anything is really not a witness at all.

*** w93 7/15 p. 27 Tenderly Shepherding Jehovah’s Precious Sheep ***

In like manner an overseer should have concern for each member of the congregation. Inactivity in the ministry or in attending Christian meetings does not mean that the sheep is no longer part of the flock. He remains part of "all the flock" for whom the elders must "render an account" to Jehovah.

*** w99 11/15 pp. 19-20 Are You Fulfilling Your Whole Obligation to God? ***

Unless they have the most extraordinary limitations because of health or other factors beyond their control, baptized individuals who are no longer serving as active Witnesses of God and Christ are not living up to their whole obligation before our Grand Creator.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Officially they are JWs, remember the JW saying that the weakest brother is better than any worldly person, but in practice they know that the inactive have left the org psychologically and do not really feel as members.

• blondie
    blondie

That's correct, officially, you are still a JW until you are DF'd or DA'd. But the WTS has unwritten rules and individual JWs make their own rules. You can be shunned even if you are "only" inactive. And you are still a JW in the sense that even if you are inactive for 10 years, they can still hunt you down and DF you.

Blondie

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Everyone who reads this, do yourself a favor and LISTEN TO BLONDIE. She's right on the money. Exactly what she just posted has happened to me. They hunted me down and announced me as no longer one of JW's. This without any letters or any correspondence. They can, will, and do anything they damn well please.

Dismembered

• xjwms
    xjwms

I agree with dismembered

Blondie always has the right information, .. and the correct answers.

• atypical
    atypical

It has been my experience that an inactive person can be treated with more suspicion and ill will than a DF'd or DA'd person. I think it is because technically there is no reason for witnesses not to talk to or associate with an inactive person, so if the inactive had "apostate" leanings, it would be easier for that person to influence others. Plus, since I have avoided any talks with the elders, speculation about my activity has run hog wild. I have friends who are df'd, and they seem to be totally left alone. They laugh when I tell them about how I am pursued by the elders.

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

Technically I'm "inactive". Just walked away from it all and never looked back. The elders bothered me for about a month then left me alone. My exit was relatively drama-free.

I have a JW aunt who lives in my building and she still talks to me (tho not about JW matters). I've gotten mixed reactions from former Cong. members...some speak (one even came up and hugged & kissed me) and others shun me.

I don't consider myself a JW and don't see any need to officially DA. I don't live by their rules anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit