Toronto Branch Sizing Down!

by Kent 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

The Toronto Branch is downsizing by 80 people, some of them paralegals. This is, according to my source, definite fact. They are being sent home.

I have heard that this is an across the Board downsizing to take place at all Branches around the world, and I've heard of branches other places which is sizing down as well.

Maybe others have heard of a downsizing their own land? I would be interested in any information on this. Because there is many possibilities here.

I am wondering whether this truly is a world-wide policy.

Can anyone give some facts about this?

Yakki Da

Kent

I need mor BOE letters and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• belbab
    belbab

I heard this too, Kent. Someone asked me privately, because I live in Canada whether I knew anything about it. I heard it was 90, but numbers do tend to grow. Can anyone figure out if this could be for financial reasons, or what? Do they have to turn in their badge, the dwelling together in unity booklet or whatever it is call now-a-days?

belbab,

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

My sister met some members of the Costa Rican branch a few months ago. She came bragging to our "worldly" family how much the Costa Rican congregations are growing. In fact, she said they encouraged her to apply for branch service there since she is a college graduate, etc. and teaches ESL, they felt she could be useful in interpreting. She also said they were building 100 new kingdumb hells. She was pretty excited about this. I thought it was BS. I also thought they were BSing her as well. Why would they need college educated interpreters in CR?

• fodeja
    fodeja
    My sister met some members of the Costa Rican branch a few months ago. She came bragging to our "worldly" family how much the Costa Rican congregations are growing. In fact, she said they encouraged her to apply for branch service there since she is a college graduate, etc. and teaches ESL, they felt she could be useful in interpreting. She also said they were building 100 new kingdumb hells.

I've learned not to believe such claims of "growth" anymore. First of all, building new KHs is not a sign of growth at all. They're building Halls in countries with steadily dropping publisher and baptism counts as well.

Second, some JWs seem to have a completely distorted view of their membership numbers: just 2-3 years ago I was told by JWs in Denmark about the tremendous growth they have, and of course all the "very promising new bible studies" and the Halls which couldn't accomodate all the people at the memorial, and so on.
    It all sounded very, very convincing. They seemed very, very confident of their organization's recruiting success. Of course, they were very, very wrong, as Denmark has seen a significant drop in baptism and publishers over the past years. Actually, Denmark has been one of the worst-performing countries in terms of JW statistics for the past 5-10 years.

f.

• larc
    larc

I just brought back a thread on the subject in question. It is called, JW decline.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

A remember that a year ago or so the German branch invited a Professor in to check efficiency to suggest improvements to work in a more effective way. I don't know if this has resulted in any actions yet.

German JW

• Kent
    Kent
    A remember that a year ago or so the German branch invited a Professor in to check efficiency to suggest improvements to work in a more effective way. I don't know if this has resulted in any actions yet.

I would be interested in knowing more about what happens in the German branch. Some years ago they booted lots of pioneers, because they didn't want to pay social security to the authorities, and as far as I remember, they had to pay some million D-Marks because they didn't pay before.

Also, what's the current status of the Society in Germany. They are now acnowledged as a religious society, I believe - but did they get the tax exemptions as well? That was the whole idea of being registred, but I do have some problems reading German good enough to be sure of exactly what the newspaper articles I've seen actually do tell.

Yakki Da

Kent

I need mor BOE letters and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Boy,

You guys like to stick your nose into everybody business.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

[quote]Some years ago they booted lots of pioneers, because they didn't want to pay social security to the authorities, [\quote]

I heard that rumour about special pioneers only on the Internet and don't know anything in detail. But in fact in the beginning of the 1990s there used to be 400 special pioneers in Germany. Today, there are about 200.

[quote]and as far as I remember, they had to pay some million D-Marks because they didn't pay before.[\quote]

There was the threat of a law suit. But the Society made a deal with the aithorities. In the brochure "Your Neighbors, Jehovah's Witnesses - Who are they?" published only in Germany in 1995 they state (poor translation mine):

[quote]Providing for One's Own

The affectionate care among Jehovah's Witnesses can be
    seen by the way in which they provide for aged fellow believers who have co-operated many years with the organization. In 1 Timothy 5:8 a heavy obligation is imposed upon Christians. Jehovah's Witnesses take this obligation seriously: "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." Members of a religious community, in which many were willing to die in Hitler's concentration camps for their faith do not feel it as an unreasonable demand to provide for their own.

Persons, who dedicate their whole life to the tasks of the religious community and are economically maintained by it, are called special full-time servants. When someon retires from that special full-time service, he is insured afterwards in accordance with the legal regulations of the old age pension insurance. This regulation has not resulted from a court order, as has been erroneously stated.[\quote]

There was no court order because the Society made the deal to insure the special pioneers after their leaving special full-time service. Media often refer to a court order because an ex-special-pioneer and ex-JW went to court to get a reference from the Society as his employer. He later claimed in the media that he went there to get an old age pension.

Your reference to "some million D-Marks" is not from this story but from the 60s when they lost a court suit and had to pay some million DEM of VAT. Interestingly, the Society was told that they would not have to pay VAT if they gained recognition as a corporation of public law. But they replied that they did not apply for that recognition due to religious reasons. Now since 1990 they have been trying to get this very recognition.

[quote]Also, what's the current status of the Society in Germany. They are now acnowledged as a religious society, I believe - but did they get the tax exemptions as well?[\quote]

The Watchtower Society has been a registered society ("eingetragener Verein", "e.V.") since 1921 in Germany (keeping in mind that it was banned in the Third Reich from 1933-1945 and in the GDR from 1950-1989). There was not a religious community registered but only the publishing house WTS . A registered has some advantages concerning tax paying and receiving donations.

Religions can get registered as corporations of public law. These have more advantages concerning taxes and fees and are preferred in buying real estate. They can even influence social life. They can also get a church tax collected by the government. The latter one is always mentioned in connection with the aim of JW but I seriously doubt that they would ever use this right.

When in the GDR dropped the ban JW were registered there as a religion . After the the German reunification the WTS tried to get this recognition for the whole of Germany together with the recognition with the recognition as a corporation of public law - something that did not exist in the GDR. Now, since 1990 they have been going to court. When a very high court said that JW can't get the recognition
    because they don't vote JW went to the Constitutional Court - and won. But now the judges have to reconsider the case and will keep an eye on the very behavior of JW especially if they harm human rights by their treatment of former members and their children.

For almost ten years the status of the Religious Community of JW was not clear. Now, last year it was registered as a registerd society like the WTS and the WTS was re-named as "WTS of JW". All JW in Germany have become members of the Religious Community. They were indirectly informed by a circular that mentions the membership marginally. All publishers had to sign the Publisher Card before which is now viewed as a proof of membership by the Religious Community. The number of 192'000 members is officially given unless there are only about 165'000 publishers. Because a corporation of public law has to have a minimum size also inactive members are counted.

So at the moment, nothing has changed concerning the status. I don't think we will see a new court decision the next few years.

Hope that helps.

German JW

• peterstride
    peterstride

That was very interesting on what's happenning behind the scenes in Germany!

Knowing how the WTS operates, I wouldn't be surprised that they are trying all sorts of legal maneuvers in many other countries too...including Canada. I wonder what the REAL reason is for their downsizing at the Toronto Bethel (I know, I know, it's in Georgetown, a hop & a skip from Toronto).

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit