I'm too laisser-faire

by MsMcDucket 14 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm in charge, frequently, at work. I tend to be too laisser-faire. I expect the people that I'm working with to know their jobs and do it. I don't interfere with them unless I have to. Ok, the staff has picked this up about me. Now, it seems certain ones are trying to "play me". What approach do I take with these types? I don't want to have to argue with them, and I don't want to take it to the big boss. I just want them to do their jobs. So, what's a good way to tell people to do their jobs and to stop asking for favors?

• upside/down
    upside/down

You may have to become a little more laisser-kickass...

u/d

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    You may have to become a little more laisser-kickass...

I'm going to have to take some kickass classes! I don't know why I don't like to hurt people's feelings especially when they are getting on my nerves! I don't understand why my boss always has me in charge even when there are other RN's on duty? Is it because she thinks I'm too wimpy to say anything about it? Or is it because she thinks that I'm the one that will make sure that everything gets done?

• ballistic
    ballistic

I was once a manger 4 years ago - and I had problems because the company paid peanuts. And believe me we attracted some monkeys. I think I got the respect of people only by 1. being very assertive against my quiet nature, but not aggresive, and 2. working my bollocks off to show I'm not afraid of the hard work I was asking people to do.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

First, a definition or two:

laisser faire:

1.the theory or system of government that upholds the autonomous character of the economic order, believing that government should intervene as little as possible in the direction of economic affairs.

2.the practice or doctrine of noninterference in the affairs of others, esp. with reference to individual conduct or freedom of action.

You say you "expect the people that I'm working with to know their jobs and do it."

That sounds like definition #1. Note the phrase "intervene as little as possible." There are times when you must intervene, like when you discover that an employee does NOT know how to do their job or does NOT intend to do their job. First you have to figure out where the problem lies. Do they not know what to do, or do they know but do not wish to perform? If they lack knowledge, educate them. If they lack will, warn them or fire them.

If you find that you prefer the #2 definition, then you are not suitable for management, as YOU lack the will to perform.

That was easy, wasn't it?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm not afraid of hard work. I will get in there and do what has to be done (within my scope). If a patient is in danger, that's when I'm the most assertive and don't give a shit about anyone's feelings. That being said, I'm finding that some people tend to be slackers or users. I want them to know that they aren't fooling me and I know what they are up to. The staff knows how far to push me before I go into "I don't give a sh*t about your feelings mode". So, they tend to try to be sneaky with things or manipulative. I have got to learn how to say "NO". Do you understand what I mean?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I beg to differ on the definitions:

When it comes to government, laisser-faire means: laissez-faire (les'a fâr`) [Fr.,=leave alone], in economics and politics, doctrine that an economic system functions best when there is no interference by government. It is based on the belief that the natural economic order tends, when undisturbed by artificial stimulus or regulation, to secure the maximum well-being for the individual and therefore for the community as a whole.

When it comes to management, Laisser-faire means:

Delegative (free reign)

In this style, the leader allows the employees to make the decision. However, the leader is still responsible for the decisions that are made. This is used when employees are able to analyze the situation and determine what needs to be done and how to do it. You cannot do everything! You must set priorities and delegate certain tasks.

This is not a style to use so that you can blame others when things go wrong, rather this is a style to be used when you have the full trust and confidence in the people below you. Do not be afraid to use it, however, use it wisely!

NOTE: Also known as lais…sez faire (or lais…ser faire) which is the noninterference in the affairs of others. [French : laissez, second person pl. imperative of laisser, to let, allow + faire, to do.]

As the poster before us said: I need to become more laisserkickass!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a few random thoughts.

Next time you have to work on a patient, specifically ask one of the "slackers" along to help you. Give the slacker specific jobs to do with the patient as you work together. Afterwards, talk to them about how they felt it went, which part of the job was whose responsibility, and how they might improve in the future. Suggest that in the future you shouldn't have to ask.

You can also assign specific roles to specific people, with follow-ups.

I guess what I am saying, is get clarity. Be specific. Make individuals accountable. You can be relaxed (I'm that kind of boss too), but do follow up on those key activities that must be done. You don't have to "hit' them all at once. Pick one or two areas to sharpen up on every month.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Ppl will readily take advantage if they perceive that you are a soft target so the way out for you is to become more strict though you don't have to become over strict and go to the other extreme. Otherwise you can't control the staff. That all comes under the HRM (human resources management)subject.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Jgnat and Greendawn, I'll give your methods a try. The problem is these people think that they are my friends. I don't have friends at work, so to speak, I have associates. They try to get too buddy-buddy and take offense when I discipline them...*sigh*

What's a girl to do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit