CO discusses: Higher Education, Baptism Nullification, No Sense of Urgency

by doinmypart 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Will Power
    Will Power

This approach sounds like "just what the cult doctor ordered". Tighten the reins!

Speed up the process - the now educated, critical, independent thinkers, who have even a lick of bible knowledge
    will be forced to see the control freeks for what they really are - much sooner than later.

Its not like the early years - where they controlled all the information - things moved much slower then.

Yes, they sure have made a name for themselves!

Thanks for posting that & keeping us informed.

wp

• jgnat
    jgnat

In a way this is very encouraging. They are doing all the things necessary to accelerate the decline. Beat the sheep. Also entertaining is the note on baptism nullification, a popular alternative discussed here. They are watching then, aren't they?

Here's an interesting article on how adaptable churches grow (and rigid ones die):

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=Excerpt&ProductID=18

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

Very interesting. Do all CO's have to discuss the same things?

none of that was mentioned at my CO's last visit, I guess I have something to look forward to when he visits again in a couple of months. The harder they come down on these things the more people who are going to leave. Don't they realize that? Maybe the just want to have only the loyalist of dubs left.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    none of that was mentioned at my CO's last visit,

Collegegurl - I am pretty sure this was said at the OTHER CO talk - elders only.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

The CO meets with the elders and MS during his two visits, usually on Friday evening. The WTS provides an outline for the CO to read to the elders & MS providing new regulations. The meeting is a pep rally (do more, do more) and tongue lashing (why didn't you elders DF sister so-and-so). This is also the time when brothers are appointed or deleted.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Figures they'd want to nix any chances of baptism annullments. They know all too well that alot of rank and file would then keep on associating with them, thereby weakening the Borg's hold on everyone involved.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I have notes from my last co meeting.

In the section on higher education I have noted - 'Dangers in leaving the secure environment of the home, cong & spiritual friends'. SCAREMONGERS!!

This btw, was nothing compared to the stuff we got at the KM school just a few weeks later. A talk - 'the superiority of divine education' - it had a bro up saying how he had a university education but ALWAYS found the publications of WTS to be faaaaar more reliable than such flawed, worldly stuff. Is it just me or is this a lot of shoite? - The guy was just up there punting the 'official party line'.

Interesting that they gave this to m/s as well as elders. - Both a warning not to consider uni & amunition to beat the r/f, if it ever comes up in conversation.

Glad it was my last meetings.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

jambon1,

I think the society may have favoured using, where available, an elder with a university degree, to do those parts just to add legitimacy to the WTS' position. There was one elder I'm very familiar with, who had his degree in commerce/business, and also gave that part at last year's school. ( I heard from a reliable source that the representative from the Canadian bethel, who also talked at that school on this topic, was quite upset about the trend towards higher education. It looked like he was about to burst a vein.)

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

At the school I attended they used a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a Psychologist, yes both are elders. They both spoke of the superiority of divine education. The Psych elder is a relatively new JW, I wonder how long he will be around before he starts to question things. The CPA has been an elder for years, he's a very cold, mechanical guy. The instructor from the US Branch was quite vehement in his rant against university education. The WTS is shooting itself in the foot.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hey I love the bit about invalid baptism and quoting an article from 1960 and 1964. These guys forget/never have known the meaning of baptism and dedication and the fact that the baptism vows were significantly changed.
    I don't go to any KH meetings now a days but I do go to circuit and district assemblies to support my wife who is still in. At our last Circuit Assembly the brother giving the baptism talk meantioned something to the effect that we (baptismed ones) had made the same declaration as the baptism candidates to the effect that we accepted the fact that by our baptism we associated as selves as one of Jehovah's Witness and would hence forth do the will of 'God's spirit directed organization'.
    I whispered to my wife at that point that I had made no such vow and she was a little shocked that our dedications vows were not the same as the one made by new ones now.
    Personally, I am quite happy with the vows I made as a 14 year old but no way would vow the vows they make today.
    Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit