Do I and Fellow EX-DUBS need LIVING WILLS?

by stillAwitness 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I don't have a blood card anymore, have not filled out any of the NO BLOOD WT forms but I have come to the realization that if I don't have a living will, my parents can still have the deciding factor if I ever get into a situation where I may need blood.

Is this true? I mean, would the hospital allow them to tell them to let me die b/c of the blood issue even though I have no documents supporting such a decision?

If so, can this effect ex-dubs who still have immediate family members who are wittnesses??

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Once my wife and I had kids we did a will and a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care for our Doc's and Local hospitals. Legally, even without the power of attorney, my wife and I are each others voice if something happens but just in case we wanted to make our wishes VERY clear.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tell your doctor that you no longer believe the everchanging No-blood policies of the WACKTOWER. I told mine within a week of my escape from the cult.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I stopped carrying the previous version of the Blood card ,I also recalled the old J W supplied "living will " doc. that I had lodged with my medical records .It was also an opportunity to give a little anti-witness to the doctor.

Now I always wear a "Medical Alert" pendant. It has a written message inside that says , as well as the usual stuff about medications, something like

"Whilst my wife may be unable to consent to any blood based treatment for me, due to her sincere religious convictions, please note that I do consent to the administration of any blood based treatment as the medical doctors deem necessary to immediately preserve my life"

In my opinion a "Living Will" is a very good idea for anyone with specific wishes about medical treatment or the unnatural preservation of life.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If you're unconscious, your parents could be your next of kin to make medical decisions for you.

What you need to do is execute a Medical Power of Attorney. This will designate someone you trust to legally make medical decisions for you in case you're unconscious or incapacitated. (Use Google to find documents if you can't afford an attorney. Sign them in the presence of a Notary and save several copies in safe locations. Give copies to your doctors for their files. Be sure to include full contact info for your poa.)

A living will helps too but a medical POA is the best.

• blondie
    blondie

Everyone, ex-JWs, JWs, and never been JWs should have a healthcare proxy. Especially, if you are changing from not accepting blood to accepting that treatment. Without it, your closest relative will be making the decisions if you are unconscious or the last person you had on your old proxy.

Pick someone you can trust to support your position even under a great deal of pressure from your family or other JWs.

It is a legal document and overrides any authority your relatives might have, including parents and spouses. The only time it won't apply is if you are a minor, under 18.

Copies of the completed proxy should be filed with your doctor(s), your clinic, the hospital, and the 2 people selected on the proxy. Be sure one is in your medical file. Be sure to talk to your doctor now about the changes you have made in your healthcare. Don't wait until there is an emergency situation.

Blondie

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Everyone, ex-JWs, JWs, and never been JWs should have a healthcare proxy.

I agree with Blondie. There's so much more than just blood at stake.

Also, consider my experience last summer. If you've ever been treated at your local hospital, you may find yourself in an unpleasant situation at a real bad time.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/95897/1.ashx

-Denise.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Tell your doctor that you no longer believe the everchanging No-blood policies of the WACKTOWER. I told mine within a week of my escape from the cult.

I did this and my doctor said "Hooray!" and wrote lots of notes in my record.

I also agree with Blondie. Having been through this process with both of my parents, it is INVALUABLE to have a living will and a durable power of attorney. Pick someone you know will support your views.

My mother is a JW and I am her DPOA, and would never do anything she didn't want, like force blood on her.

Without those documents, especially the living will, you are at the mercy of the doctors and your family who may not make the same choices you would.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Without those documents, especially the living will, you are at the mercy of the doctors and your family who may not make the same choices you would.

My dad finally did his last summer. I told him how relieved I was because it would really take the pressure off us to try to come to consensus if we were called on to make those decisions.

I believe that it is the grown-up, responsible thing to do.

I prefer the longer one - that questions you on how 'heroic' you want the doctors to be and how you define 'quality of life'. It's a tough one to fill out, but, once it's done, such a relief to have your own wishes spelled out clearly and legally.

Don't wait. Do it this week.

-Denise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit