Basic Doctrines

by mystified 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Mystified,

Second, in the part in Matthew which describes "the last days," it says that "you will be hated of all nations for my name's sake."

Welcome. The scriptures do say that you will be hated for my names sake. Referring to Jesus Christs' name, not Jehovah's name.

Acts 11:26 - "...and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians."

No where in the scriptures is it mentioned that one of the identifying marks of chosen people was the use of Jehovah's name. They were called Christians by divine providence. Followers of Christ.

If Jehovah wanted them called Jehovah's Witnesses would this not have been an opportune time to institute that name instead of Christians.

Welcome again looking forward to your posts.

Loruhamah

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    U.S. Hostage Tom Fox Killed in Iraq
    By JUAN-CARLOS RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer

33 minutes ago UPDATED 13 MINUTES AGO

WASHINGTON - An American who was among four Christian activists kidnapped last year in Iraq has been killed, a State Department spokesman said Friday.

I'll send you the link if you ask me for it

purps

• cosmic
    cosmic

In answer:

you ramble. Apparently you find it difficult to get to the point. You give no precise idea as to what you are concerned with, what you want to know, or for what purpose you took the time to apply these words to my CRT. In short, you must be a "modern" writer. Try to be a little more succint, to the point, give me the benfit of being stupid. If I didn't know you were a JW, I would probably have guessed it. In 25 words or less, tell us what you want.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Former light-hearted asides aside, I am still trying to understand what you meant when you asked for what we think about what you wrote without injerjecting our own thoughts.

I get the impression that you feel you are NOT interjecting your own thoughts and wish us to refrain from doing so as well...meaning what exactly? That you feel you are expressing God's thoughts and we should try to do the same, and then we will all agree?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking. I would like to understand the basic premise upon which you are operating here.

As to a few of your other remarks:

I'm assuming, before reading, that this an anti-Jehovah's Witness site.

I see it as more of a site where people who have ties with JWs in one way or another can freely discuss and debate issues associated with them. As a natural consequence it also seems to have developed into something of a support group for those who have suffered adverse effects from JW beliefs and practices.

The only "Basic Doctrine" you seem to have addressed in this post, inadvertently, is that of Christ returning invisibly to rule the earth. I think one of the main reasons "Christendom" seems to ignore the already established "theocracy" JWs preach is that they believe the Bible rather than the Watchtower Society. They thus reject the notion that Christ's return is invisible and occurred in 1914, unbeknownst to everyone but the select few who believe they were chosen to be his visible representatives. (Please see Matt.24:23-27 and Luk.21:27.)

If you are a member of a church of Christendom, you are well aware that they claim to be Bible-based. However, what I just posted should raise questions.

I just went to church for the first time recently. It was nothing like I thought it would be, and nothing like attendance at a KH either. The whole service focused on grace and love and being a welcomed part of God's family. There was one scripture chosen for the scripture lesson, and a few select ones that formed the basis of the sermon. There was lots of praise through song. Bibles and hymnbooks were easily accessible for visitors, and there were bags of crayons and Bible-story colour books for children.

I hope you will stick around for a while. Some of the things others post here should raise questions in your mind as well, and that's a GOOD thing. I believe we should never give up questioning our own beliefs, as this is even more important than questioning other people's beliefs.

Let's keep talking

~Merry

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    I believe we should never give up questioning our own beliefs, as this is even more important than questioning other people's beliefs.

Let's keep talking

~Merry

words of wisdom

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Mystified, You said "Jesus' followers were always treated with disrespect" that was so true at the time Jesus said that. You said Matthew describs the "last days" "you will be hated of all nations for my name's sake" that was also true during the early Christian time. That same chapter at verse 34 Jesus said THIS generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." Verse 3 shows he was talking to his disciples so they understood he meant their generation since Jesus never said it had a greater fullfillment. You said Christendom clergy stated "we do not advocate a theocracy" but the Watchtower Society does and they are far from it. You said Daniel 2: 44 that "Daniel spoke of God's King taking all the world Kingdoms and establihing his own" After describing each of these Kingdoms verse 44 says "And in the days of THOSE Kings the God of Heaven will set up a Kingdom" So I believe God's Kingdom was set up back then. You said "If you are a member of a Church of Christendom, you are well aware that they claim to be Bible based." Watchtower Society does to. Where were their Bible bases on 1914, 1918. 1925, 1975 for just a few. [that should raise questions] You ask what do you think of what I just posted? Not much.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Second, in the part in Matthew which describes "the last days," it says that "you will be hated of all nations for my name's sake."

Check your personal copy of the Bible and you will notice that this is referring to Jesus. People are hated because of the trust they put in Jesus instead of a worldly government, whether it is composed of a senate, congress, parliament or Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I just heard a statement made -- recently -- by a Christendom clergy member, where he said that "we do not advocate a theocracy." Christendom does not want God's Kingdom to rule (they will lose their political standing). They don't want the problems solved....they just want their recognition.

Have you entertained the idea that he was talking about a theocracy composed of humans?

Third, (I believe it's in Matthew, but I can look it up if you like), Jesus said that the Scriptures were "written aforetime for our instruction." That, plus the fact that he and his apostles referred to them frequently, gives credibility to the so-called "Old Testament." So, what did Daniel have to say (Daniel 2:44). when he spoke of God's King taking out all of the world kingdoms and establishing his own? Do the world governments want to hear this? Of course not....that's why they ignore it, as do the churches which support world governments.

Are you aware that the Watchtower Society supported the United Nations for almost 10 years from 1992 - 2001 as a NGO. They used UN vehicles (do a search with the WT Library cd) and wrote articles in the AWAKE magazine to show their support of the United Nations Charter which they agreed to support. John 3:3 Jesus replied, “ I assure you : Unless someone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Mystified.....you make a valid point. But that point begs the question...who's name shall be hated? Jesus told us in Matthew that we would be hated for His name sake(Jesus).

Now the watchtower argues that the nations shall hate those who serve and worship Jehovah. Now I can agree, but on only one point. If the nations see that Jehovah is the incarnate Jesus Christ. Other wise it's fruitless and has no foundation.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum, I can't see the JWs being hated in this part of the world, in some parts they may be hated but so are many Christian religions. And the JWs have caused quite a lot of harm to many of their ex members by shunning them, families were destroyed and some even committed suicide due to the great emotional distress involved.

They may be sheep but they may also be wolves putting on the appearence of sheep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit