Do you think the media tells you the truth?

by free2beme 23 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I am always amazed at how people I would consider, smart, believe the media so much. They will say they have gone to college or have read information on topics, and then be swayed in their thinking by one news program. Do you trust the media? Are you aware what the process is like behind the scenes, and how and why certain items are reported? Do you know that people in the media, even the most respected, have views they wants accepted? I see us mention on here how much we know the Witnesses censor topics and information, but this is not something they own the exclusive rights too. It is common in the main stream media, as well, and I guarantee you have been swayed in a false direction in several topics this year alone and did not even realize it. So you you think the media tells you the "whole" truth?

• blondie
    blondie

I read several daily newspapers, several internet sources, 2 news magazines, and 3 TV news channels.

I think I get a fairly accurate view depending on how much truth their sources are sharing.

• free2beme
    free2beme

They say the trust of the media is often limited to how much you listen too. In that some people are prone, maybe from age or upbringing, to watch and read only what their parents did. While others will look into things more across the boards. As an example, anyone who believe the term "Greenhouse Affect" is listening to media, not science fact.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Every media source has truth, but the real question is how much truth?

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Only Fox News

Dismembered

• Frog
    Frog

only half the truth, there's almost always an agenda, and with multinational newscorporations reading broadly doesn't necessarily mean widening your sources. independents are good for a balance, but are becoming fewer & further between. I read the Hobart Mercury, Tasmanian Examiner (pretty rubbish tabloids, but only local paper), The Melbourne Age, The Australian (reasonable broadsheets), online to BBC.com, CNN.com, Washington Post.com, and watch SBS worldnews, and the ABC nightly news. Gotta take it all with a grain of salt. Doing a year of journalism & media studies at Uni has made me very synical.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"As an example, anyone who believe the term "Greenhouse Affect" is listening to media, not science fact."

What do you mean by "anyone who believe the term "Greenhouse Affect""?

• Undecided
    Undecided

Just read the Awake and you will always get the truth.

Ken P.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Having lived in various places all over the world, it always amazed me how much difference there was in news reports on the same subject depending on where you lived. So no, I don't believe they are always telling the truth. I think that most places (even the BBC at times) will inadvertantly be biased one way or the other. What was really fascinating was how different US news reports about certain things were from everyone else in the world. Kind of scary, actually.

• daystar
    daystar

This is why I don't watch the news on television. I get my news, online, from a number of very different sources. Doing this, you get the very distinct point that all news outlets are biased in one way or another. However, you get a much better view of the reality of the situation this way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit