How long has it been "the time of the end" ?

by lost_light06 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

GodisRight

In the Middle Ages, your average person was not allowed to read a bible. It was written in Latin and only the priests were allowed to read from the bible.

That being said, there are still people on earth today that have not heard of the JWs, but that doesn't keep them from predicting the end always "soon", does it?

• sir82
    sir82
    Jesus said that the end would come after the good news was preach through out the earth. So it seems strange to me that people living in the middle ages would believe that the end was near when most people outside of Europe never heard of Jesus.

And don't forget that Paul said, away back in the first century, that the good news had already been preached "in all creation that is under heaven".

So I reckon that any middle-ager that was in the 0.05% of the population that could read Latin would have been satisfied with that.

• hijack
    hijack

global warming, sea levels rising 12 feet if greenland melts. Over population , hyper inflation.

Folks, it is going to hell in a hand basket . Don't need the dubs to tell me that

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder
    NO DATE in history affects the destiny of every living person so much as the year 1914.
    I would argue that 1945 when the A-Bomb was dropped has affected man more
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

World conditions since 1914 have taken a turn for the worse. Great empires have collapsed,

So 450 AD, The Roman Empire had collapsed, so had the Greek, The Persian, The Assyrian, The Babylonina - so tha twas a marked year

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Mankind lives in the soul-chilling shadow of atomic annihilation.

So 1945 was a more marked year than 1914

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

The first world war was nothing, compared to the black death of 1347-51. The black death (bubonic plague) killed an estimated 34 million people in 4 years, 1/3 of the European population. In the following decades, millions more died, as the plague came back from time to time. In world war I, "only" 15 million people died. 9 million of these were soldiers on the battlefield. 6 million civilians looks like a lot, but many of these were russians killed in the revolution from 1917 and onwards, and in civil war in some European countries. All in all, the large cities were spared during WW1, it was a trench war, and the civilian population were in many areas unaffected (apart from food shortages). In world war II, 55 million died, half of which were civilians. Still, compared to the population size, the black death was a much larger catastrophy. But if I were to set some sort of "deadline" in the 20th century, the second world war would have to be it, not the first one. Edite to add: Oh, and by the way, yes, people in 1349 believed in was judgement day coming, yes. In fact, many were sure it was the end of the world. And who would blame them.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

So what is the overall theme here? That there is NO time of the end at all? So what the heck was Jesus talking about?? If we've always had exceeded amounts of crime and violence now and in the past then where and when is this time of the end??

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hello there, I study prophesy from the bible and I do believe we are in the 'time of the end', great tribulation. I think it started around the fall of the twin towers. Also think it will all wrap up within a 'generation'. Meaning a period of time, from a person's birth to the age of childbirth. 15 or 20 years. Even though the JW's have a reallly strange idea of a generation, now. JW's haven't killed my faith in the bible...I still read it and believe it, just not the same as they teach anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit