What was the purpose having Eight Day assembly?

by VM44 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

Running man has posted his account of an eight day assembly from the 1960s.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/109297/1.ashx

What I would like to know is, what was the purpose in having EIGHT DAYS for the assembly?

It was a test of endurance for people to sit in stadiums 12 hours or more a day, exposed to the heat of the sun and becoming sun burned during the day, and shivering from the cold of the evening.

And for what purpose? Under those conditions, people remembered very little of what was said, and after the first day or so would be looking at the convention program just to see how many more talks left before they could leave.

Actually, what people remembered from the conventions is how painful they were to attend!

And I have heard that at one time the Watchtower held conventions that lasted even LONGER!

--VM44

• greendawn
    greendawn

Either they had no idea as to what the useful concentration span of humans is (around 45-50 minutes) or they thought that by tiring their minds they will be able to better manipulate them at least on a subconscious level. I don't think this happens with the JWs but other cults do use it.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Its like the Chinese water torture. The longer it dripped the more apt you were to cave in. Same principle here. The longer the convention and days were the more brainwashed you got.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Perhaps it was to mimic the Passover + Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Quite a number of years ago, a Jewish friend told me that to him the WTS "sounds like the fourth branch of Judaism." At the time, I didn't understand what he meant...

• still wondering
    still wondering

I attended the

As a teenager I volunteered as a night guard and slept on bails of hay during the day. Didn’t hear any of the talks.

Can anyone let me know if I missed anything I should know?

As we were expecting trouble from those wicked apostates we used to patrol the grounds carrying a length of iron pipe that had been left over from the miles of plumbing used to connect up the huge ex army dinner tray washing machines and hot water boilers.

Why was it 8 days? Well it was twice as much "fun" as a 4 day assembly.

• still wondering
    still wondering

I attended the

As a teenager I volunteered as a night guard and slept on bails of hay during the day. Didn’t hear any of the talks.

Can anyone let me know if I missed anything I should know?

As we were expecting trouble from those wicked apostates we used to patrol the grounds carrying a length of iron pipe that had been left over from the miles of plumbing used to connect up the huge ex army dinner tray washing machines and hot water boilers.

Why was it 8 days? Well it was twice as much fun as a 4 day assembly.

• still wondering
    still wondering

what am i doing wrong? it keeps cutting bits out of my reply.

I attended the

• still wondering
    still wondering

held at Twickenham rugby stadium, with whole car parks converted into tented areas arranged in rows and named after bible places like Jacobs road or jezebel street.

• VM44
    VM44

I believe part of the reason that these assemblies were held for so many days is that they were used as publicity events by The Watchtower.

So again, the people were being used and made to suffer for The Watchtower purposes!

--VM44

• Balsam
    Balsam

Ironclaw said it perfect. I remember those 7 day conventions from 1971 sitting in the August sun 12 hrs a day we would be so sun burned, dehydrated and ready to pass out from fatique then the 2 hr ride out of the parking lot for the 1hr drive home. Lord and I was a young woman then and it nearly put my young husband in the hospital after he passed out the last day. What a nightmare those long conventions were, it is insane. The weird thing that we fully believed A powerful God demanded out complete attention at these conventions. Depressing to even think about it. LOL

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit