Why does religion fail?

by cosmic 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cosmic
    cosmic

I'm not used to starting threads, but I ran across a web site the other day that set my mind churning. The site was called "The Atheists Manifesto", and I think I heard about it from someone on this board. But, anyway, it mentioned a couple of things that seemed compelling:

1. When it comes to Thor and Zeus and

Quetalcoatl, we are all atheists. This seems important, but I can't firmly grasp why.

2. Our world is a hose job, not because we are necessarily hosers; but, because of religion. We have left fixing the place up to "God". Therefore, unless we all become atheists, the world will never be improved.

The question that has came to mind about that time is whether religion is strictly for the individual, that is, was only designed to be implemented on an individual basis and, therefore, begins to break down and become worse than useless when humans attempt to apply it on a group scale. It hadn't previously occurred to me that, prior to baptism, I was treated as an individual (as I gather from this site that, many also were) and it was only after baptism, that is, when I became part of the group, that things began to be "expected". It was no longer my personal choice to attend a meeting, it suddenly became mandatory, for at the very least I was expected to "show my support" for the group.

Thinking back over the Bible accounts, all of the prophets were treated an an individual basis, each "good " example of a "righteous" person was listed by name and/or otherwise set apart as a singular person; political/national boundaries were set aside by God in his determination of individual fate(s). Now, I know there are examples of God killing national groups, like the Philistines, and so forth, but does that negate the rest?

Any how, all that blathering aside, my question is this:

As Prot, from the planet KPAX, eloquently noted, "All intelligent creatures know right from wrong.", and it seems that religion on an individual basis lends credence to each individual that, in essence, "virtue is its own reward"; but, at what point does religion begin to fall apart? Is it population dependent? (okay if less than 3, 30, 300, 3000? A waste of time for larger groups?) It doesn't appear to be diety linked (less Thor would still be the guy)? Why is it that no matter what the religion, what the god, the reward, the cost, the hope, the past, etc. religion has always failed us, or, at least, failed to deliver on its promises?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

I believe that spirituallity is what is implemented on an individual basis.... religion is just a legalism combined with spirituality....

Mike

• Dune
    Dune

religion is a snare and a racket.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I believe that because religion is started from people that are imperfect, that inside religion there will always be imperfections and rather than 100% facts, there will be spots in every religion where it is opinion and not factual. I think that's why religion doesn't succeed.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

ARCHITECT - [The Mother] stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99.9% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice.

NEO - Choice. The problem is choice.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'm not sure about that. Most ancient religions were definitely an ethnical issue (whether on the tribal or national level). The Bible (from post-exilic Judaism to Christianity) shows a gradual emergence of the individual as a moral subject, liable to individual judgement: "no one will be judged for the sins of his fathers" is a Deuteronomistic innovation; in Christianity salvation is mostly individual, yet the group (church, body of Christ) often plays an essential role. You really have to wait for the modern times to see a real concept of individual spirituality / salvation.

• daystar
    daystar

Hmm, I first ask what rule you are using to determine that all religion has failed? What goal do you think religion as a whole has? I don't see any evidence that all religions have the same goal.

It may be said of some that they have succeeded at least to some extent. Christianity as a whole is huge. The word of Christ has been spread far and wide across the globe. As far as successes go, I count this as pretty successful.

prior to baptism, I was treated as an individual (as I gather from this site that, many also were) and it was only after baptism, that is, when I became part of the group, that things began to be "expected".
    This is very simple. When you became baptised, you made a vow, a commitment, to the stated goals of the organization, and thus, were to be held accountable. Before then, you have not expressed commitment to their ideals and should have been treated as such. (There are exceptions to this as I am one of them.)
  • snarf
    snarf

Religon is manmade, spirituality is between you and your god.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just supposing "God" delegated authority and responsibility for mankind to be "Lords" of their own kingdom, "in the image of God". Do we point the finger upwards because of our own absenteeism?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Our world is a hose job, not because we are necessarily hosers; but, because of religion. We have left fixing the place up to "God". Therefore, unless we all become atheists, the world will never be improved.

Well, I have to say that is a bit overstated. Few religions are capable of suppressing human reason and compassion completely. Some of the best advances in human rights and science were accomplished by religious people. Religion really had little to do with it one way or the other. The world is very much improved in many ways despite the continuing influence of divisve and irrational religions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit