Is stepping down from being an elder a big deal?

by Clam 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Clam
    Clam

LOL @ Unc's Batman attack.

Golf what do you mean? He was just a regular elder. Dat's all.

• Scully
    Scully

Apparently, the WTS does not make it easy for someone to Step Aside™ from their appointment as Elder™. If you want to resign, you need the permission of the Body of Elders™ and/or Circuit Overseer™. Mind you, this is a voluntary position, yet they have to be in control of the decision for you to no longer volunteer your services.

And then when they make the announcement, they say "Brother So-and-So has been deleted as an Elder." It almost sounds like a slap... something is being done to you, rather than you having the right to make such a decision on your own behalf.

Must have something to do with the Appointment™ being Directed by Holy Spirit™ - cuz we all know that the Holy Spirit™ never makes a mistake.....

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Must have something to do with the Appointment™ being Directed by Holy Spirit™ - cuz we all know that the Holy Spirit™ never makes a mistake.....

This is so true Skully, they dont make it easy for you. Holy spirit HA! Its so funny though that when an elder is appointed that nobody expected or are surprised by instead of questioning the whole blasted arrangement many will just simply state "well Jehovah must see something in him so we should respect that" So stupid.

• ferret
    ferret

Speaking from experience it is a big deal. One loses a lot of prestige in the members eyes. However I knew I was going so it had to be done. I stepped down months before I was df'd, and it caused lots of gossip.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Once one enters any 'position of responsibility™' it is very hard to back out without losing face. Emotional blackmail is another another tool commonly used to stop someone backsliding (if you aren't moving forward you're drifting back™ brother.) One thing my wife confessed enjoying about being 'just a sister™' was the lack of pressure to reach-out™ for responsibility .. that and not having to give talks alone on the platform.™

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

There are some drawbacks though: The primary one being that nice tan on the end of the nose gets shown for what it really is after each Co's visit. Some have been called 'whitenose the non ass-kisser' for such a choice, ya' know!

Jeff

• Gregor
    Gregor

Oddly enough, it was a CO's visit that led to my resignation."Resignation" really is too fancy a word for quitting the elder job. Imagine the guy who drives the truck around to all the portable toilets to suck them out,... "After careful consideration, I have decided to resign my position as driver of the shit sucker"...

The New CO we had was so fucking stupid I just couldn't take anymore. I wrote a letter to Brooklyn wherein I both resigned and took him down too. It was very satisfying. The day I mailed the letter I quit shaving and by the time word got around that I'd quit I looked like Clint Eastwood in Hang 'em High.

• James Free
    James Free
    Once one enters any 'position of responsibility™' it is very hard to back out without losing face.

It's interesting to read other posters who chose to step down. In my experience, the only ones who did were about to be pushed if they didn't anyway. Most elders hang on for as long as they can, way past any time when they might have 'qualified'.

p.s. 'step down' is such a strange expression to describe leaving a position of servitude to the congregation - HA, BIG JOKE!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Oddly enough, it was a CO's visit that led to my resignation."Resignation" really is too fancy a word for quitting the elder job. Imagine the guy who drives the truck around to all the portable toilets to suck them out,... "After careful consideration, I have decided to resign my position as driver of the shit sucker"...

LaughingMyArseOff!!! at clint eastgregor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit