What makes a Special Talk "Special?"

by Virgochik 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

When I was growing up, they'd announce the date and title of a Special Talk.There was lots of buzzing and excitement, and everybody was encouraged to invite irregular ones and relatives to attend. Poor Grandpa and Aunt M. always got begged to dress up and come out to hear this vitally important message.Why? Because it wasn't just a talk, it was a SPECIAL talk! Sometimes, I even got to pick out new shoes for the occasion,.The Hall was full of people who hardly ever came to meetings, but would be pressured to make it to the Special Talk. So, what made it "special?" Was it a drive to revitalize the spiritually weak, or tell the public Armageddon was really, really close? Was it a thinly disgiused membership or fundraising effort? And what is the meaning of it today? The point of it all escaped me, growing up but now I am curious.

• startingover
    startingover

I've had the same thoughts about the "special" talk. I nothing but a bunch of hype for nothing, I never ever thought there was anything "special" about it, just another talk. And of course it meant diggin out the easter bonnet, just like the memorial.

• sir82
    sir82

It's part of the JW mythology, that "special" talks are really "special". In actual fact, they are identical to any other outline provided. A less than riveting introduction, various points backed up by proof texts, admonition on how a "true Christian" would act, etc.

Other popular myths of JWs:

-- Door to door ministry is effective anywhere outside of 3rd world countries

-- First century Christians engaged in door to door ministry

-- Meeting attendance is essential for spirtual growth

-- A routine of 20+ hours weekly of meeting attendance, study, field service, and various other "theocratic" activities is what Jesus had in mind when he said "my yoke is kindly and my load is light"

...you get the idea.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Itb is given worldwide on the same day - that is the only thing that makes it special

• Gregor
    Gregor

It was always the Sunday before the Memorial. After the speaker sat down (by the way, everyone clapped at the end for the Sunday talks but never clapped at any point during it.) The MC would announce the Memorial, date, time, bring your friends,..blah blah blah.

I remember all the cigarettes being lit up by the newcomers, bible studies and and unbelieving mates as soon as they hit the parking lot. Same thing at the Memorial. See ya next year!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Iv'e heard lots of "special talks" and none of them were that special, not that I can remember anyway. It was just the same outline being used on the same day, nothing special about that.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's special because they say it is. If they say it, it must be true. Isn't that the way it works?

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Hahaha, LittleToe, that seems to sum it up! Well, at least I got new shoes for the big occasion!

• Trojan
    Trojan

Me being an elder: I guess it's the word "Special". Nothing more, nothing less. Don't worry too much. Also, the "special" talk is a newly released talk outline. The elders have 180+ outlines from where they can choose. If the WTBT$ wants to come out with a new outline, they do it as "special" talk. After that day, it becomes one of the regular ones and I can assure you that you will hear it again. A year later maybe, but the same regurgigated stuff. The outline in itself is the same as the others. Some times they rant a little bit more about "the end" or "the badass babylon the great religions".

Trojan.

• upside/down
    upside/down

It's kinda like the terms "sale" and "clearance" in retail.

It's so over used...that it's lost all impact and meaning.

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit