The need for educated proffesonals - more WT hypocrisy?

by jambon1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

One thing that always annoyed me when I was in the org was the policy on education. I personaly am not college educated, I was`nt raised as a JW.

However, I have always appreciated the services provided by those who have had a college/university education.

When I move house I need a solicitor/lawyer. When I want a person to look after my buisness finances I need an accountant. If I am ill, I really need a doctor or surgeon. I want my kids to go to school so I need a teacher. The list goes on and on.......

In my experience I have found some very trustworthy, friendly and genuine individuals who work in these professions.

Now, is it just me, or do JW`s too use all of these services day in, day out, every day of the year? Why yes.

So is`nt it just a little hypocritical of the WTS to ban the r/f JW`s from pursuing some of the most honourable & useful occupations, when they themselves need such things?

And they say, "what a better world it would be if everyone were JW`s" - eh, naaah!

• dozy
    dozy

The WTBTS doesn't "ban" witnesses from pursuing these occupations. In fairness , in my cong & neighbouring ones , we have bros & sis of all these professions - accountancy and book-keeping in particular seems to be very popular around here.

Paul became a tent-maker rather than a lawyer and most of the apostles had relatively humble occupations - most JWs follow their example.

"Re: The need for educated proffesonals - I personaly am not college educated" - you don't say!

• jambon1
    jambon1

Dozy

Thanks for your rather sarcastic reply.

Yet again, JW apologists picking on words. So, they dont BAN them? OK, I`ll give you that.

Do you really think that they encourage JW`s to get a college education? Last time I was at a KM school we discussed ways to discourage young ones getting into uni/college! Ver balanced! Nothing like letting people make personal choices!

It may not be the case where you live dozy but where I come from university goers are very much stigmatised in the congs. Every time (rarely) when someone enrolls, we got all the pious, self-righteous, negative answers/comments at the meetings. Not very encouraging is it?

And you are right, it ay be painfuly obvious that I`m not college educated - so what, Im happy.

J

• jambon1
    jambon1

Just for the record......

Young witnesses who go to uni always seem to be a bit more level-headed & balanced in all areas of life when compared to the ones who went out cleaning. The cleaners tended to drink their money down the drain and got into all sorts of problems in the cong. In fact, more hairdressers, window cleaners went out the truth than the uni graduates.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ok, so the Watchtower doesn't officially "ban" education, but they still do persecute those who have the gall to disobey the cult leaders and get an education. I was privately reproved and had all my privileges removed because I was taking a 2 month course. The course was part time, only on Saturday afternoons, so it didn't interfere with meetings or my commitment to spread cult propaganda to the community. Also, Watchtower literature has consistently bashed education, and anyone with fourth grade reading and comprehension skills can see this for themselves if they bother to read the articles. Anyone who says the Watchtower doesn't strongly discourage higher education is either a liar or is utterly stupid.

The elders in my hall were very quick to judge me when I took courses, yet didn't hesitate to call me when they needed computer help.

W

• jambon1
    jambon1

I suppose its a bit like one of the latest cover articles about understanding the bible. At face value they tell the paying public that YOU can understand the bible, WOW, ME?!

However, when you peel back the JW layers you learn that actually, no, you cant FULLY understand it unless you recognise the faithful discreet slave.

Lets be honest, the truth is presented 2 ways to 2 different sets of people.

1 - The one they present to new people

2 - What you learn after you have been under the water, eg. 'oh did`nt we tell you, you have to shun blood-tied relatives, life long friends when they are d/f`d. NICE.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

In the mid 1960's a non-jw uncle of mine was at high school and enthused about the woodwork, electonics and metalwork he was enjoying. When I asked mother about it she said "oh don't be silly, Armageddon will be here long before you go to High School". As it was I enjoyed high school but left to pioneer as soon as I legally could in 1972 (aged 15 and just in time to pioneer before the big A).

I know the WBTS, in league with my dumb parents, buggered up my life but many deny that the Watchtower Society promoted this kind of thinking. If the following statement is not aimed at making teenagers quit school what is it? :

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."—Matt. 24:34.

Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone! (Awake! 1969 May 22 p. 15)

• jambon1
    jambon1

If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone! - WT

Hmmm

WTS/JW`s =

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Here is the real kicker about the WTS and schooling. While they wil have a WT like the april mag and diss higher education, what do they really want at Bethel...people with high education and marketable skills. With all the ones they are sending home how many do you think are doctors, lawyers, or engineer's? This is one of the many two faced arguments that the WTS puts out there. By the way thats how I got in.

• ferret
    ferret

dozy: many of these proffesional people already had their careers before becoming dubs, very few receive them after.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit