Elder's school.

by ithinkisee 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

willyloman is right on the button. His recollections match mine exactly.

One item, perhaps with a demonstration of an effective shepherding call, will stress the loving personal interest that elders must take in the flock. After lunch a letter will read, or a manuscript item, that effectively says what rules must be followed.

Then of course they get back home and deal with realty and have to fit 101 things in before the next meeting and the stuff that the PO asks for are more pressing than seeing the person that you really want to.

Sure, the dubs can recall the appropriate counsel to do good, but the system makes it very hard to achieve.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I can only agree with willyloman and BluesBrothers.
    Having attended numerous elder's schools, in my opinion, there is often a vast gap between the 'official' lovey dovey line and the reality of the actual line that elders will take when dealing with 'problems'.
    Eyeslice

• serendipity
    serendipity

And how much time is spent on how to organize congregational assistance for the widows, fatherless children and older ones?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

how much time is spent on " proper handling of contributed funds"?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    And how much time is spent on how to organize congregational assistance for the widows, fatherless children and older ones?

What's that serendipidy? Don't you know that taking orphans to the movies, football, baseball, opera, rock concerts, swimming, camping, crabing, fishing, blackberry picking or ice scating (let alone mushroom hunting) is frowned upon - there'll be none of that in the new system! unclebruce who did it anyway

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I still do not think enough shepherding is done

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

What willyloman said is just about right.

That is the way I remember it from being an elder from 1986 to 1991 when I finally stepped down resigned.

HappyDad

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    I go to the Elder's School, and it is full of loving advice

not love - but even more important - "our loving advice"

ie. 101 ways, & things to do and say so that jeboobah may not kill you

• willyloman
    willyloman

sir82:

Thanks for posting your notes. I missed a couple of installments the first time around and just finished catching up. In late 2002, I attended my last school and took many notes, intending to post them on the forum. But I was merely lurking in those days and hadn't yet registered was still in that fearful phase. You did a great job, thanks!

• Golf
    Golf

Losing teams are always given a 'pep' talk before they take to the field.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit