wine making

by Cellist 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

Kudra - Yes. Bears. They're usually don't do anything too bothersome. Last year one flattened a compost bin. Left the other ones alone because they had some onions sitting on top. I'm unsure about the blackberries because they're rather borderline hardy for this area. I was thinking they might be worth the effort if they made good wine. I might still go for it.

Fairchild - We plan to make dandelion wine this summer. Hopefully it'll turn out a little more drinkable! LOL

Justsomedude - Did you use a recipe? And proper equipment? Just wondering, because it's not supposed to be that hard to get a drinkable wine. Really good wine is another story.

I have to transfer my very first attempt at wine into a secondary container tomorrow. It's still going to be a LONG while before I'm drinking any.

Cellist

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

So then I guess this would be a crabapple cider then? Cool...

Don't overlook another healthy beverage that you can produce from your crop - unpastuerized crabapple vinegar. Vinegars are the result of the bacterial fermentation of ethyl alcohol into acetic acid, and just as the yeast/alcohol fermentation is naturally self-limiting, so is the bacterial/acetic acid fermentation.

Unpasteurized cider vinegar is great for your digestive health. Use it instead of commercial vinegar in salad dressings, or make a drink with one tablespoon cider vinegar and 10 oz. of cold water. Sweeten with a little honey or stevia if you wish. It is refreshing like lemonade, and the acidifying bacteria are good for your intestinal health. Shake it up! It should be cloudy when you consume it - with the "mother of vinegar" broken up and suspended in the solution. Bottoms up!

• Cellist
    Cellist

Nathan - I have the information on turning wine (and cider) into vinegar. That's on my list of "to do" things. Mead is supposed to make a wonderful vinegar too.

I haven't quite figured out what the difference is between apple cider and apple wine. I think it's the alcohol content. What I'm making is going to be in the 13 - 14% alcohol range.

Cellist

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

I had good equipment and the recipies I used should have been good.

At any rate, Im much better at brewing beer than making wine.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Well, it'll be six months before I get to sample my first attempt. I hope it turns out. If it doesn't I'll give beer a try.

Cellist

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Wow, six months? How many times are you planning on clearing it?

• Cellist
    Cellist

Well, it has to be racked at least two more times. But it has to age after being bottled. There's only a few wines that you can drink right away after bottling. Rhubarb is one. Most have to age to be drinkable. Maybe that's what was wrong with your wine? Maybe you just drank it too soon. Some have to be aged a year or more to be palatable. With apple, it's at least three months. So, it could be more than six months if I have to rack it more than twice.

Cellist

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I am reading this standing beside a 20 gallon brew of wine from my own grapes (that will be put through my 20 year old still to make grappa) and supping on some home made cider.

Cheers

Chris

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hey, is that legal there in NZ? I wish we lived closer, I'd be there on your doorstep for a visit! I won't be drinking anything that I've made for quite a few more months.

We were enjoying a friend's blueberry and Nanking cherry wine last night. Good stuff!

Cellist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit