Reasons employers reject job applicants

by kristyann 27 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Anyone want to give me some main reasons employers reject job applicants? I already have some, but this is for something for school... and I really need a wide range of answers... they are looking for me to give them quite a few reasons. I need serious ones, too... not something inappropriate for school or ridiculous. Sorry to bother you with this, and I'll probably get no responses, but if anyone wants to help a girl out, please let me know why you think employers reject certain job applicants. I would be eternally grateful.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

"missing" info on a resume/CV

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If you are so freakin good why are you out of work?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

AT resume stage or interview stage? Please specify

• benny_blanco
    benny_blanco

Talking too much during the interview.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Provacative / Inappropriate attire

Sloppy resume (wrinkled, misspellings)

Talking bad about former employers/co-workers

Suing former employers

Under-qualified

Over-qualified

Disregard for current employer

Late for interview

Lack of eye-contact with interviewer

Condescending tone with other people in the 'hiring' company

Screaming and Abusive speech to kids (while coming to phone to discuss the job)

Speaking too softly

Misrepresenting skills and experience (might have considered without but false info = liar)

Hope these help a little.

-Denise.

• damselfly
    damselfly

These are reasons that my employer has not hired certain applicants.

1. Poor Hygiene/ Casual attire

2. Poor grammer and speaking skills.

3. Rudeness, you would be surprised how many people are rude to her at the desk until they find out she's the owner.

4. Poor references from staff. Yes, we do remember every time you were a bitch or a jackass and no we do not hesitate to pass that along.

5. References do not have anything good to say. Do not put them on your resumes if you don't know what they are going to say about you!!

6. My boss owns a spa and she only likes to hire people who have a certain "look". Try and find out before the interview how the rest of the employees look and dress and groom the part.

Hope this helps you out.

Dams ( got every job I ever applied for class )

• jgnat
    jgnat

"I speel really gud." - one typo can kill you.

"By the way, I'll have to take off three weeks from the summer job because I'm getting MARRIED!"

Years of experience. If the job ad says two years of experience and you have one, it will be rejected.

Not putting both the Month and Year of service. An HR person will count "1999" as one month of experience instead of twelve. If you had put Jan 1999 to Dec 1999 that would count as one full year.

Resumes more than two pages in length will be discarded.

Don't read the job ad and don't include the key words and requirements in your resume. Many HR shops these days screen for advertised requirements. If you don't include that language in your resume, it will be screened out.

Late submitting your resume.

Late for the interview.

• damselfly
    damselfly

My friend used to be in charge of hiring dining and bar staff at a prestigious hotel in our area. She had one interview that came in to her office tilted back in his chair and swung his boots on her desk in front of her face!!

He didn't get the job.

Dams

• John Doe
    John Doe

A couple of important, often overlooked ones are a nervous demeanor and a weak handshake. It's surprising how much difference a confident stance and a firm handshake while looking the employer directly in the eye makes. A lot of it's psychological.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit