What is Gods name anyway?

by Shane 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Shane
    Shane

I was raised a Jehovah's witness all my life, though I don''t go any more, not till I fall on my head and NOT afraid to ask questions does this particular question come up.
    What is Gods name?
    People act as though everyone in the world speaks English, what about the third of the worlds population in China could it be that is his real name at this late date? Why do we assume that it has to be "JEHOVAH" When it could just as easily be how they call it in China, or India, or Arabia, or south America anywhere that there is a large population?
    Its always Bugged me, sorry but it has, correct me if I am wrong but no one knows how to pronounce his name from Hebrew am I right, so why do we call him by all these versions of his name?
    The bible seems to indicate to me anyway that God takes pride in his name, to the point of saying that all those calling on that NAME of God will be saved, so what is his name? I know I know, the Witness's say it don't matter how you pronounce his name, but it just don't jive with me for some reason. A big powerful God will either destroy you or save you, and we don't even know his name other than he is supposed to be the God of the Hebrews, now should not reason dictate that an all wise God would have the know how to enable humans to know his name as he speaks it heaven? He did it earlier apparently.
    I wonder if three is anyone who can say Jesus' name in Hebrew correctly? (I think there is a lot of bull shit concerning this issue to me.) One mans opinion ~ Shane

• Hojon
    Hojon

Actually some documents have been found recently that have the correct pronunciantion. It's pronounced "Steve."

• outnfree
    outnfree

I personally do not know,

but I think this may be a question to "Ask Father Naeblis"

See thread below.

outnfree

• Shaneliza
    Shaneliza

I think her name is Shannon...

• Farkel
    Farkel

: What is Gods name?

You are presupposing that that is important. If you prayed to "The Creator" would you think that He wasn't listening because you weren't sure how to spell or pronounce His Name? How many "The Creators" are there, anyway?

Would "The Creator" not hear your prayer because you didn't understand how to pronounce His Name?

If not, why not? Dub explanations don't count. They stake their whole religion on the name "Jehovah" while at the same time admitting that it is the "common" name for "The Creator," yet not necessarily the correct one.

They are stupid and clueless. Don't you fall into the same trap. His name might well be "George," but you will reach the right source if you pray to "My" or "The" Creator. If you are monotheist, you'll reach the right person. If he doesn't listen, then what can you do?

Remember that Jesus in his model prayer prayed to Our Father who is in Heaven. He set the example. There was no "Jehovah" in His prayer. If Jesus can reach the Creator with those words, then why can't you? Or anyone else, for that matter.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• kes152
    kes152

Hello Shane,

you said:

God takes pride in his name, to the point of saying that all those calling on that NAME of God will be saved,

If I may, that is not correct. God gave us a "name" and it was NOT his personal name. The only name given under heaven by which we can be saved is the name of his Son. All authority in heaven has been given TO HIM so that ANYONE who calls on HIS name WILL BE SAVED.

Most understand that name to be "Jesus." The 'correct' hebrew name can be found in the manuscripts. The name was written "Joshua" due to phonetics. It was pronounced "Ja-shua." The Hebrew letter for "J" was pronounced "Y" in Hebrew. Hence you have "Yoshua." Since the "o" was the sound of "a" both in Joshua AND Yoshua... it is PHONETICALLY written "Ja-shua," spelled (Joshua). "Ja" is God's name, and "shua" is "salavation" or "saves." Hence "Ja-shua" is "Ja saves," or "Jah saves" ("h" is silent).

The same is true for Elijah. "Eli-jah" is "Eli" which is "my God" and "Jah" which is God's name. If God's name were "Jehovah" then it would NOT be "Elijah" but "Elijehovah." Also "Hallelujah" which means "praise Jah" would be written "hallelujehovah" (praise jehovah). But, the name of the Father is what the Son reveals if the Son wants to. Knowing the name of the Father does not save us. It is calling upon the name of the Son, for there has been NO OTHER name given UNDER HEAVEN by which we can be saved.

Acts 4:12

you also said:

People act as though everyone in the world speaks English,

This is VERY typical of "us" Americans. Not an insult, but "truth."

If you choose to address him as "Jesus Christ" he will not frown upon you. He is NOT like that. All he wishes is for you to come to "know" him personally, and for you to love him as he loves you. If you ask for him, he will come. If you DON'T want him, he will leave you alone.

The Father listens to NO ONE unless the Son makes mention of him. He is the High Priest and God listens to no one but the High Priest. For only the High Priest has that authority.

Aaron

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

most likely it is YAWEH! jehovah is a concoction of the consonants of yaweh(y changed to J, and there is no J in the original hebrew language) and the vowels of ADONAI(latin meaning lord in engish or BAAL in hebrew); which is SATIN'S title. Jehovah is truley an abomination.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Bob

• Norm
    Norm

Hey,

I thought it was Cliff!

Norm

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

bboynoko
    is bob what your head does when you see a hard dick?
    what an asshole you are! someone asks a sencere question, and you comment with your usual drival. i am totally in awe of your profound knowledge you asshole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit