So what about Lent and Easter??

by Super_Becka 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Well, being the rude S.O.B. that I am, I was walking around the office yesterday with a wet paper towel, offering to clean the dirty foreheads I saw around. Nobody took my offers seriously so I went to the store, bought a bag of Robin Eggs and didn't offer any to anyone.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

JW’s don’t celebrate Easter because they do not believe it was commanded to do so in the bible, and we all know you can’t do ANYTHING that isn’t commanded in the bible. JW’s rest the importance, not on his resurrection (recreation), but rather his death/sacrifice for our salvation. The memorial celebrations are supposed to be a remembrance and observance on this sacrifice/means of salvation as well as the final supper (but only for the mighty anointed). Also, like Christmas/Jesus Birth, Easter does not fall on the exact day that Jesus was resurrected. You will note that JW’s celebrate the memorial on a different calendar day almost every year. This is because the day Jesus died, Nisan 14, is a Jewish calendar day and therefore does not match up exactly with the Gregorian calendar. Then there are the “pagan rituals” associated with commercialized Easter. I have always found the memorial to be an over hyped, anti- climactic event, boring me to tears almost every year. The overly serious and solemn demeanor of everyone involved is laughable. Last year, in fact, we had some friends over for dinner after the memorial. When everyone was there I went to the fridge and grabbed a brew. I offered some to my friends and they all turned me down. They said “we don’t drink alcohol on this day”. I was a little stunned but a few more beers took care of that. On the other hand a family in our old cong. would take the wine they used at the memorial and finish off the bottle at home that night. I wish some kid would just tip that wine all over the PO’s wife’s dress…..oh please please please please.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    The memorial celebrations are supposed to be a remembrance and observance on this sacrifice/means of salvation as well as the final supper (but only for the mighty anointed).

OK, so we all know that JWs refuse to do anything that isn't specifically commanded in the Bible - my question is, since I'm not overly familiar with the Bible, is there a command to remember and acknowledge the crucifixion and the Last Supper every single year at the appropriate time (in this case, Nisan 14)??

I know that Christ said, during the Last Supper when he was sharing the bread and wine, to "do this in remembrance of me", so is that the basis of the Memorial and the Communion for JW?? In the Anglican Church, the Communion is part of the weekly services - there is Holy Communion at least every Sunday.

Really, I don't see the difference between remembering that and celebrating Easter - the only difference is, when we celebrate Easter, we celebrate Christ's resurrection and the JWs ignore that part. Good Friday is a solemn day for Christians as we remember Christ's sacrifice for us, then Easter Sunday is a celebration of his glorious resurrection. How can that be so wrong??

-Becka :) (of the "JWs make no sense to me" class)

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks for another great question Becca, as a Lutheran, I am now attending a church that celebrates communion weekly, which I truly prefer. Each time I partake of the meal, it reminds me of the sacrifice that Jesus (God) made for me and I can not see of anything incorrect or immoral of remembering this sacrifice as often as possible. What really amazes me is that with the JWs there are only the annointed few who are allowed to partake and these annointed are the only ones who have Jesus as their mediator, the remainder of the faithful have to go through the annointed, now where is that in the Bible.

The Last Supper is specifically celebrated in the Gospels, but at least in my reading of the Gospel it does not tell one how or when one should partake, only that when one partakes that it is in remembrance of the sacrifice made for the believers.

The Easter Vigil is one of the most meaningful services of the year for me, for if it were not for the empty tomb, death would have won the battle, and the tomb and the empty cross make me KNOW the salvation that MY savior Jesus provides me, because I BELIEVE and his sacrifice.

I guess I am also in the "JWs make no sense to me" class

isot

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Yes, jesus words to "do this in remembrance of me" is the basis for the memorial. However, because JW's believe Jesus was only speaking to his annointed followers the R/F non-annointed JW does not partake. Just watch that wine and bread pass by.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    What really amazes me is that with the JWs there are only the annointed few who are allowed to partake and these annointed are the only ones who have Jesus as their mediator, the remainder of the faithful have to go through the annointed, now where is that in the Bible.

The Last Supper is specifically celebrated in the Gospels, but at least in my reading of the Gospel it does not tell one how or when one should partake, only that when one partakes that it is in remembrance of the sacrifice made for the believers.

The Easter Vigil is one of the most meaningful services of the year for me, for if it were not for the empty tomb, death would have won the battle, and the tomb and the empty cross make me KNOW the salvation that MY savior Jesus provides me, because I BELIEVE and his sacrifice.

I guess I am also in the "JWs make no sense to me" class

Precisely, isot - when Jesus said "do this in remembrance of me", he meant for Christians to partake in the bread and wine to remember him, I don't imagine that he meant for only "the annointed" to take part and just have everyone else be there to watch.

Of course, we all know that Jesus is the mediator for all Christians, not just "the annointed", but that's another thread.

I also agree in that I don't see anything wrong with celebrating the Last Supper as often as possible, and partaking in the Holy Communion always makes me feel good, but I can't criticize other faiths for observing it less often, since the Bible doesn't tell us when to do this or how often, so I can't badmouth the WTS for only having it once a year. I can, however, criticize them for taking the Bible-commanded right to partake in the Communion away from ordinary JWs and allowing only a chosen few to partake, I think that that constitutes a violation of Christian rights within the Church. But that's just me.

Glad to have you along in the "JWs make no sense to me" class, isot.

Yes, jesus words to "do this in remembrance of me" is the basis for the memorial.

OK, I can see how the WTS could use that quote to justify their use of the Communion, or the observance of the Last Supper, whatever they want to call it, but how does that justify the remembrace of Christ's death as part of the same ritual??

-Becka :)

EDIT: Oops, typo, I meant to say "crucifixion" or "Christ's death" in the last paragraph, not "resurrection" - sorry!!

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Jesus resurrection is not part of the "memorial" celebration. In fact JW's don't do anything to observe His resurrection, it's not important to their doctrine. The only thing about Jesus that is important to JW's is his death (i.e. means of salvation). They only mention His resurrection as part of the series of events surrounding His death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit