JW Dropouts

by unclebruce 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I know the WBTS, in league with my dumb parents, buggered up my life but many deny that the Watchtower Society promoted this kind of thinking. If the following statement is not aimed at making teenagers quit school what is it? If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."—Matt. 24:34.

Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone! (Awake! 1969 May 22 p. 15)

I hope the mirror sites of "Quotes" have their copies of this article on board. It's truly proof that the WTS opposes higher education for their members.

So sorry you were affected by it, Unc. What do you think you woulda/coulda done, had they promoted higher learning?

Frannie

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    So sorry you were affected by it, Unc. What do you think you woulda/coulda done, had they promoted higher learning?

Well, I was in what they called the "top track" at high school and our science and maths masters were charged with helping us smarter but less afluent boys go on to university (they were passionate about it and pretty pissed off when I'd squandered their efforts and the offer of a scholarship by leaving school the day after my 15th birthday.

Another option was a plumbing aprenticeship with either my father or grandfather. Grandad believed that everyman should have a trade and he had at that time the biggest plumbing business in Adelaide and wanted to take me on.

As it turned out I eventually got my restricted plumbing licence and a full carpentry licence but it took a lot of hard work to accomplish. I'd like to have been a journalist or teacher.

cheers unclebuilder lol.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Uncle Bruce,

What's stopping you from being a teacher or journalist? You're obviously intelligent. Would they not let you into school to get a degree/teaching certificate? In the US, the schools would love to have middle aged teachers. A lot of corporate types get tired of dealing with the junk at work and go back to school to become teachers.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    As it turned out I eventually got my restricted plumbing licence and a full carpentry licence but it took a lot of hard work to accomplish. I'd like to have been a journalist or teacher.

Sounds like you made the best with what you had to work with, Unc. And the great thing about your having wanted to be a journalist or teacher is that anyone can be one or both with the internet today and commerce the way it is. It isn't too late for you to take the classes you'd need to at least try your hand at journalism or writing of some sort, eh?

Frannie

• watson
    watson

Amused,

I appreciate your honesty. I think many were in the same boat.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone! (Awake! 1969 May 22 p. 15)

Wow, a blast from the past!

I graduated High School a year ahead of my class of 1970 3 months after that article was out. The very next day I got married in the Kingdom Hall at the age of 17.

I was enrolled in Cosmetology at the High School I was attending but dropped out of it because my Mom didn't see any point in my going as Armageddon™was so close and after all who would need their hair permed, colored, cut or fixed pretty in the New Order™? I think I remember telling her all those brothers who would be growing their bald hair back, sigh.....I coulda had a career.

Oh yeah they totally discouraged going to college back then and then again in the 80's and again in the 90's I know because my kids were graduating from High School in the 90's. Out of five only one (the youngest) went on to college........and I'm sure they are still doing it now.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day Serendipity & Frannie,

Thanks for the "encouragment". Yes adult education is very big down here and the NSW government is trying to attract men into teaching positions. I just spent four semsters at university. It was wonderful. I had no idea academic writting was so hard! I got good grades though (high distinctions even :) but, with building my house and trying to start several new businesses I found handling more than one subject at a time too dificult (at the rate I was going I wouldn't graduate this side of kingdom come

Life in this hidden corner of australia is very good. I've made a lot of friends through art, uni, wildlife care and conservation.
    I'm not whinging about my life, in spite of all its extremes its been good. The watchtower stuff was unfortunate for oportunities lost but I had a lot of experiences there and met a lot of characters that I wouldn't have otherwise. My mother was so crazy if it wasn't the Watchtower she'd have had some other building fall on us.

I've been through more drama than any thespian can imagine but if I can cruise into old age now I'll die a very happy looney

===

G'day biker chic,

I graduated High School a year ahead of my class of 1970 3 months after that article was out. The very next day I got married in the Kingdom Hall at the age of 17.

Ah a child bride! lol .. I see it now - biker chic, a picture of youthfull seventies loveliness, being led through a sea of brown suits and wide ties to the slaughter altar platform.. "and bikerchic do you accept this clueless geek to be your husbandly master for time everlasting or until one of you says sod this and shacks up with someone new?"

and after all who would need their hair permed, colored, cut or fixed pretty in the New Order™? I think I remember telling her all those brothers who would be growing their bald hair back, sigh........

Hey don't dis the new order sis .. sure hairdressers and car dealers were going out of business but there would be plenty of opportunites in the fruit picking equipment and national costumes industries

Do you remmember the JW craze in the early 70's for learning Hebrew lol. I remmember a lot of groaning and gnashing of teeth when it was announced that we'd soon only be speaking Hebrew! Aw geez my study challenged mum stressed over that .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit