JW Dropouts

by unclebruce 16 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

In the mid 1960's a non-jw uncle of mine was at high school and enthused about the woodwork, electonics and metalwork he was enjoying. When I asked mother about it she said "oh don't be silly, Armageddon will be here long before you go to High School". As it was I enjoyed high school but left to pioneer as soon as I legally could in 1972 (aged 15 and just in time to pioneer before the big A).

I know the WBTS, in league with my dumb parents, buggered up my life but many deny that the Watchtower Society promoted this kind of thinking. If the following statement is not aimed at making teenagers quit school what is it?

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."—Matt. 24:34.

Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone! (Awake! 1969 May 22 p. 15)

• amused
    amused

I graduated from high school in 1970 and could have gone to college. My dad would have supported it as he was not a witness. However, I lacked motivation and being the lazy teenager I was I used what the society was saying as an out.

• unique1
    unique1

WOW, laying it out there. And they say they didn't promote 1975.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't give the book publishing business much credit. A parent's job is to prepare the child for life and living on this planet. My parents sabotaged me and they not only failed to prepare me for life on this planet they refused to allow me to prepare myself. Yet when they helped build a new Kingdom Hall they didn't have any problem helping to put 40 year shingles on the building.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That 1975 date setting was a cynical ploy to boost the sales of the corporation's products by motivating the R&F (unpaid sales people) through false promises to work extra hard, no doubt the FDS knew there was no end in sight and were laughing up their sleeves. They played a similar trick in 1925.

Then they denied everything as in 1925 blaming the R&F,the victims, for expecting too much too early.

• Golf
    Golf

How many WT Pres. have gone since 1969 and I'm still playing golf, ha ha. Who has the last laugh?

Golf

• ferret
    ferret

Yes unclebruce: my grand father thought that he would not grow old before the big A, also my parents both deceased, I am now 67 years old and I heard that when I was a child. What bulls$$$.

• Clam
    Clam

I neglected my studies at an important time due to believing that this would happen. .

However I came to my senses by late teens and managed to get the education that the WTS didn't want me to have.

Do not pursue higher education. There is very little time left! Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service, your goal. WT 3/15/1969, p. 171

N.B Also see pages 67-72 of the publication Billions Now Living Will Hopefully Soon be Dead
  • xjwms
    xjwms

Yeah...................I was 18 when I read that

based on that I got baptised.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Awake!

Asleep at the wheel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit