Political Statements of Value

by waiting 11 Replies latest social humour

• waiting
    waiting

In keeping with the celebration of Presidential Elections in the USA, I've found the following memorial quotes pertaining to this National Pastime:

"A conservative is a statesman who is enamoured of existing evils, as distinguished from a Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others" Ambrose Bierce

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." Dan Quayle

"Elections are held to delude the populace into believing that they are participating in government." Gerald Lieberman

"The only reason I'm not running for president is I'm afraid no woman will come forward and say she's slept with me." Garry Shandling

"I have faults but being wrong isn't one of them." Jimmy Hoffa

"I have made good judgements in the past; I have made good judgements in the future." Dan Quayle

"Vote early and vote often." Al Capone

"One word sums up the responsibility of any vice-president, and that word is 'to be prepared.'" Dan Quayle

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." Winston Churchill

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that you have to spend much of your life defending sons-of-bitches." HL Mencken

"I wouldn't piss down Jerry Brown's throat if his heart was on fire." James Carville

"What a mess we are in now - peace has broken out." Napoleon Bonaparte

"Congressmen are so damned dumb, they could throw themselves on the ground and miss." James Traficant

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Well, seriously,

How do all the xjw's feel about voting?

Do you English persons vote?

Do you Canadian persons vote?

Do you Australian persons vote?

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. Kurt Vonnegut

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 15 October 2000 22:20:51

• AhHah
    AhHah

Waiting,

Glad you brought that up. I do vote and I am very glad to say that it feels good to finally begin shouldering some responsibility for the political process. I am glad to be living where I still have a vote; I don't believe it is something to take for granted. If one does not care to vote, then one votes not to care (IMO).

• AhHah
    AhHah

The silence here is deafening! Am I a very tiny minority on this subject?

• Simon
    Simon

I agree with you AhHah - voting is a responsibility and a privelege that a lot of oppressed people don't enjoy (eg JWs !)

• waiting
    waiting

Hey AhHah,

I was wondering at the silence. Thanks, Simon. I haven't registered, nor will I vote this time around. But I wish I was.

I was at dinner with my daughter tonite. She proudly held up her registerstration card to vote. She's 29 and this will be her first time. She has been listening, reading, etc. and very excited about voting.

And even knows who she's voting for, btw. Good kid. Maybe I'll follow her example next time around.

waiting

• Seven
    Seven

The people's democratic dictatorship needs the leadership of the working class. For it is only the working class that is most farsighted, most selfless and most thoroughly revolutionary.-The Chairman,June 30, 1949
    Yeah, I vote. So which stiff, condescending and insincere member of the millionaire boy's club is it going to be this time? I agree with you Simon-it is a right and a responsibility to vote.
    Marijuana? Cocaine? I'm not going to talk about what I did as a child."George dubya Bush
    oh yeah, I want his finger on the button.
    I didn't realize I was in a Buddhist temple.Al Gore Didn't all the bald men running
    around in orange robes with incense burning make you wonder? Liar, Liar, pants on fire! Or how about, A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.-Al
    But not to worry, they've got it all under control. So don't be shy. Close the curtin, pull the lever and be counted.
    Seven

But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow.-Beatles

• AhHah
    AhHah

Seven,

You say you want a revolution? Well, you know, we all want to change the world.

You say you got a real solution? Well, you know, we'd all love to see the plan.

You say you'll change the constitution? Well, you know, we all want to change your head.

You tell me it's the institution? Well, you know, you better free your mind instead.

Don't you know it's gonna be alright?

btw, 7, I've been dying to ask, what's up with the Vatican City location on your profile? Is that somewhere in Vermont or Kentucky maybe?

Edited by - AhHah on 19 October 2000 2:56:49

• Seven
    Seven

AhHah, There are several posters here that had listed their location as being such places as Djibouti and Yemen(Kismet). Waiting and myself began to ask the woman from Djibouti questions about her native country. As it turned out she just liked the sound of the country's name. She really had me going for awhile. So, I ended up residing in Nepal for the longest time, finally
    leaving K-K-K-K-K-Katmandu for Vatican City. I believe my next stop may be Martinique.
    Seven
    USA

• AhHah
    AhHah

SevenofNine,

You and Bob Seeger really get around! I am jealous! I have only been to Europe once (England) and Canada once. I really liked England and I look forward to seeing Italy (I'll be looking for you there) as well as many other European countries.

You should be easy to spot since you look just like that actress on Voyager (or are you actually her?). Do you hang out at Trevi fountain or any other famous places? Do you sign autographs for loyal fans?

I woke last night to the sound of thunder. How far off, I sat and wondered. Started hummin' a song from 1962. Ain't it funny how the night moves. When you just don't seem to have as much to lose, strange how the night moves, with autumn closin' in.

Edited by - AhHah on 19 October 2000 21:18:0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit