Did you give lots of money to the Watchtower?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Not all at once, but over 30 years? Oh, yeah. Worst investment I ever made.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

No, but I gave them plenty of time I can never get back

• Jourles
    Jourles

I honestly never contributed that much at all. When I was single, I might have dropped the odd $10 or $20 a month, but never consistently. Instead, I used to anonymously buy some groceries or leave an envelope with cash in it on the doorstep of those in the congo that really needed it. I always felt that my idea of donations would go a lot further than sending it to the WTS. I justified to myself that others in the hall would make up my share that was sent to HQ. I never saw the WTS look after individuals in the hall, so I felt the need to do it myself. It's funny because back then I would never have thought of doing it for a worldly person, only a JW.

Now that I'm out, I would still do the same thing. Only I'm not limited to JW's only. I've noticed now that I have become much more concerned about the people around me. It's amazing what types of emotions come bubbling forth once the chains are broken. I am much more emotional about things in general now, whereas before, I had a hardened attitude about charitable works towards "worldly" people.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

No, I never gave them money. Even when they went to the donation arrangementâ„¢ I didn't give any money. I figured I was donating enough by always using my vehicle in serviceâ„¢. I also knew that if I ever fell upon hard times, the JWs would be the last people on earth who would ever give me a hand.

I suspect my ex used to put money in the box when I wasn't looking though. She was a real company man.

W

• FairMind
    FairMind

Like Blondie I gave (give) to help pay the KH bills. I don't give much for literature sice afterall, the WTS is a "non-profit" organization.

• loosie
    loosie

Can I get a refund?

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I gave mega-bucks i worked at high pay during the prime of my youth and allowed the Watchtower $ociety to $windle me-Danny Haszard

• kls
    kls

I never did but the husband always did. Especially when our kids were small and we had very little money . He had no problem supporting the cult that he still believes has very little monies. He still gives but he is sneaky and i am not sure how much these days but i know he does.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, we always paid by check, partly for tax purposes, and partly so the MS/elders knew who was giving money to save the as*** every month.

• slugga
    slugga

No, I gave enough in FS, informal witnessing at work and on quick builds. My attitude was let the elite A-list dubs pay for their own bloody hall, they're the ones that get the most out of it.

Matt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit