basic questions

by BYR 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BYR
    BYR

I am new to your board. I am not a member of your church nor am I seeking to become one. I do have questions from time to time as to your basic beliefs and practices. What I am seeking is for someone who is willing to occasionally, like maybe 3-4 times a year, to respond via emails to my questions. If someone is willing, I would appreciate it. My first question is this. I have heard (and I detest rumors) that Jehovahs Witness will not enter another denominations church, for a wedding, funeral, etc. I would like to know if this is true and if so, where did the practice come from? Thanks Brian Rogers [email protected]

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi, welcome to the board. Plenty of people post here who have never been JW.

Entering another church for a wedding, etc. is a consciense matter. Some will, most won't. It is discouraged. I don't know where the custom came from. JWs like to keep themselves "separate" from the world.

Cellist

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Brian, Welcome. Most people here 98 percent will not try to get you to join that church. We are mostly EX Jehovahs Witnesses. If you check the "best of" threads by Lady Lee you will see so many answers to what youare curious about. You do not even need an e-mail pen pal.

Sara

• BYR
    BYR

thanks, I found the link to Lady Lee's. There are too many for me to scan through. Don't have the time. from what cellist stated, I would assume the practice is a personal one. But i fail to see how entering a different church would be harmful. Is there a website for active members of the Jehovah Witnesses, where I might get someone to answer my questions. I mean no disrepect to those who reply here on this board, but I firmly believe in getting my answers from as close to the source as I can get. To not do so would be like asking an Evangelical Baptist to explain Mormoiism to me. Hope everyone understands. thanks brian

• Nina
    Nina

The official Watchtower/Jehovah's Witness website: www. watchtower.org

The Contact Us form on that site: https://watch002.securesites.net/contact/submit.htm Caveat Emptor.

Nina

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi BYR

Welcome to the forum.

The Watchtower Society (legal corporation of jehovah's Witnesses/JWs) teaches that entering a church is mixing with Satan and as "true Christians" they should not ever do that. On the rare occasion that a JW will enter a church, they are instructed to sit at the back and not participate in any of the religious activities. To do so would be giving worship to Satan instead of God.

Yea I know - it sounds crazy.

Most of the posters here are no longer JWs although there are a few who do post here against the WTS' instructions to stay away from "apostate" websites. And we have a great group of people who are dating or married to a JW.

We offer information, support and a lot of friendship

• BYR
    BYR

Thanks Nina. I found that previous to finding this message board. I realize if i submit that form, they will send their missionaries by, which, for me, is not a bad thing. I am old enough to handle them in my home. The problem is, I am rarely home. I work for the gov't and travel extensively. So asking them to come by would be fruitless. I guess what I could do is keep a list of the questions and next time I knew I am home, long enough to have them come by, I can submit the request. Thanks for you help. brian

• BYR
    BYR

Lady Lee, just found your reply. Sorry for not seeing it sooner. Is there scriptural reference for the practice? I can understand not associating with what one may consider, right or wrong, satanic, but I am wondering as to the development of the practice and more importantly, for me, any biblical support. I know that Paul would enter a Jewish synogogue to preach. If Paul was not against doing so, why would the Jehovahs Witnesses be against it?

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

byr,

in the may 15, 2002 watchtower under the questions from the readers---WOULD IT BE ADVISABLE FOR A TRUE CHRISTIAN TO ATTEND A FUNERAL OR A WEDDING IN A CHURCH? our taking part in any form of false religion is displeasing to jehovah and must be avoided (2 corinthians 6:14-17; revealation 18:4)....

...a christian must carefully weigh all the factors involved. under certain circumstances he or she may conclude that no difficulties would arise from attending a church funeral or wedding as an observor. however, the circumstances may be such that by attending, the likely injury to one's own conscience or to that of others would outweigh the possible benifits of being presemt. whatever the situation, the christian should make sure that the decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before god and men.

you will have to study a little deeper than this to get a grip on what this actually means in real world. ask about things like "theocratic warfare" and "shunning" in relationship to "matters of conscience". if you use jwd as a resource you will learn much grasshopper.

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

hey byr, you will probably get more straight forward HONEST answers here for you questions about Jehovah's Witnesses. There are some people here with very extensive know how on what they believe and how they actually conduct themselves.

df

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit