What do you believe in now?

by janelle 21 Replies latest jw friends

• janelle
    janelle

Hello

I just stumbled on this site today, and am I ever glad I did!!! I was raised as a witness, my mom being a witness and my dad a non believer. Growing up I never wanted to follow all the rules, and often broke them behind my mothers back. At 15 I moved out and stayed with family friends who were also witness' but lived about 12 hours away from my mother. I went to meetings because I had to and at 16 got baptized because I wanted to do the right thing. At 17 I moved out on my own and completely left the truth. Up untill the age of 18 I had never done anything that would have gotten me DF'd. Now, here I am at age 21, I've been living with my boyfriend for 3 years and feel only disgust towards the entire organization. For the first 2-3 years when I first left the organization in the back of my mind I still felt that it was the truth and I would eventually go back once I had my fun. Recently, probably within the last year I have realized how utterly ridiculous, and completely deceptive the religion really is. I feel it is a cult that brainwashes people into twisted thinking and half truths. What kind of religion makes you disown your own family members!!! I don't believe in god anymore at all or have any "spiritual" beliefs. Sometimes I feel a little lost having no family that will speak to me, and having my entire belief system completely reversed in such a short period of time. I feel so disgusted with religion in all senses. So I was wondering what you believe in now?? Do you still believe there is a god, do you attend any churches??

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

welcome to the board janelle. nice to have you, stick around. :)

we all believe different things here at JWD. you'll find quite the spectrum.

i personally don't believe in anything other than myself.

cheers,

TS

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hi Janelle! And welcome to JWD. To answer your question, I don't know what I believe in, now. I'm just here. I'm not ready to jump into any other religion. I can tell you that!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I don't believe in anything that is religiously based. WTF could anyone *really* know?

• poppers
    poppers

Hello janelle, and welcome to JWD.
    I've never been a JW, but I'm sure you'll find a wide diversity of viewpoints on your question from ex JWs here at JWD. As for myself, I dropped out of my religion a number of years ago (Roman Catholic) and have not adopted another belief system. In fact, I have dropped all belief systems and philosophies. This enables me to look at others, things, and most importantly myself, without the contaminating influence of the mind. It's a lovely way to live, full of peace and contentment, fully attentive to the here and now - ther only moment there is.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Welcome to the board , you will find many that have similar stories as yours. personally I am in a state of re-learning what I believe and don't believe.I haven't made any concrete decisions yet .I have opened my eyes that what I use to accept as truth is really quite far from it. Hope to hear more from you.

• ballistic
    ballistic

No - I don't see the need for organised religion. I have some vague spiritual side. But it's not something I think about a lot. And I agree the way the JWs treat ex members is enough to turn anyone against religion - it's so warped.

• rimbaudbunuel
    rimbaudbunuel

I agree with Tetra - I like John Lennon's Quote from his song God - "I just believe in Me". I can defintley understand where you are coming from though. I am also 21 and have been df'd for about the same amount of time and lost my family and friends, exc. For me I have been basically afraid to believe in anything again, I am so shell shocked from the experience to again have a form of spirtuality seems way down the line. But there is a hole that is left from no longer believing in jehovah witness's that I still wish to fill somehow. Like was already mentioned I have seen tons of different beliefs here which I think is nice. Welcome, Jonathan

• prophecor
    prophecor

Wow, what took you so long? Glad you could make it. We all believe differently now. Many of us still believe in the tenets of Jehovah's Witnesses, but I'll let those who do answer for themselves. I'm still in the exploratory stage as I seek out truths from sources, once verboten by the Gestapo. I now believe there are others who possess as much, if not more accurate knowledge as to the promises of God and his Son, Christ Jesus, and that the monopoly on truth, as was believed to be coming from the WTB&TS is now, officially over.

Welcome to the Club

• ferret
    ferret

Hi janelle welcome to the forum. I felt like you did when I left 26 years ago. Nobody could talk religion to me, I was very bitter. But I always felt there was something missing in my life. So I did some investigating into various churches and after six years of ex dubdom I along with my wife joined another religion, and have been happy there for 20 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit