Option Of Death Penalty For Molesters in Oklahoma

by Dogpatch 20 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• proplog2
    proplog2

Ferret:

First you give her a sex change. And then you take it away.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Kid-A:

It may have been proven that the death penalty is not a deterrant to others committing crimes but you have to admit it sure as hell is a deterrant to the one who receives it. That person won't be committing any more crimes.

Not to be too simplistic, though, I see the other side of the argument. The amount of wrongly accused sex offenders who have been proven innocent by DNA is not something to be scoffed at. There have been a couple of high profile cases in Canada. Wrongly convicted rapists, etc. How many more are there that do not have the money to have the testing done. How many people already executed were actually innocent. It is frightening how many times the "justice" system gets it wrong. There is no simple right or wrong answer to this

Cog

• dh
    dh

surely if they know they might get executed if they get caught then they might just opt to kill the kid, as a dead body can't really testify.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Convicted child molesters sent to prison are considered the lowest life form in the prison culture. They live in a perpetual hell in the prison system, thus sending them to prison is a far more serious punishment than the death penalty.

If they are in general population that would be right, but here in the UK we have 'prison rule 43' which classifies certain prisoners as vunerable and places a duty of care on the prison service to protect them. They are kept seperate from all other prisoners, and so the expected perpetual hell does not happen.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    Crime rates, including child molestation are far lower in countries that dont have the death penalty

Kid_A. While the death penalty might not have a lot of effect on crime rates it does satisfy justice. Also, I fail to see how eliminating the death penalty would lower crime rates. Can you provide us with documentation?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I wont hide the fact that I am very much against the death penalty in all its forms; yes I see the arguments for it but there is in my view too much scope for injustice.

DB74

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

What about just branding their foreheads with the word "PEDO"? No need for catration or a national registry. They'd be instantly recognisable.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Not to be too simplistic, though, I see the other side of the argument. The amount of wrongly accused sex offenders who have been proven innocent by DNA is not something to be scoffed at. There have been a couple of high profile cases in Canada. Wrongly convicted rapists, etc. How many more are there that do not have the money to have the testing done. How many people already executed were actually innocent. It is frightening how many times the "justice" system gets it wrong. There is no simple right or wrong answer to this

This is what concerns me! While, in principle, the death penalty might seem the answer there have been too many miscarriages of justice for one to be able to put absolute faith in the legal system. Until the legal system is absolutely fool-proof the strictest sentence has got to be life imprisonment.

Ian

• slugga
    slugga

I take it no one learned a lesson from that stoning video the other week?

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

Well if I knew beyond a doubt that a person was guilty of child molestation I would love for the person to be put to death. Shoot, I would even volunteer to do it. But killing an innocent person, well, are we willing to sacrifice a few innocents to kill a few actual offenders? As much as I would buy the gas and light the match for a kiddie rappists burning, they would need some pretty concrete evidence on that person.

I am so very pro-death penalty, but we also need to consider that there ARE wrongfull convictions. And I do not want to kill an innocent person.

wish i could sleep

DF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit