Ottawa had an earthquake

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah I don't remember that of course....it happened at 6am in the morning and I was all alone in my crib, and I remember seeing the floor boards through the crib bars rattling and my crib had wheels on it and so the crib rolled all around my room and I remember trying to reach for a drape by the window to hold on but couldn't reach it...

My mom has pictures of destroyed buildings in our neighborhood. The earthquake also damaged the electrical wiring in one of the buildings on our lot and a month later caught fire.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow my grandson will be two in May and I'm pretty sure he would remember being scared.

It really is surprising what little kids can feel even if they can't find ways to express it verbally.

Trying to grab the drapes - probably a good thing you couldn't reach them. You might have pulled them down on yourself

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh Scully

did you feel the earthquake last night?

• JH
    JH

My first earthquake that I ever felt was 4 months after my baptism. I was happy that I got baptized in time.

• JH
    JH

That earthquake was in 1988 It was a 6 on the richter scale. (somewhere in eastern Quebec)

Then after that I felt 2 or 3 little tremors in the late 1990's (very small earthquakes, maybe a 4 or 5)

Gee, the train passes right in front of here every day, and that alone is a 6

• Scully
    Scully

I was driving back from doing a few errands at work when it happened, so I didn't feel a thing... but I heard the announcer on the radio station as it was happening... she sounded a bit freaked out!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Wow Lee that will get your attention for sure!

FHN:

7.5178 megatonsLanders, CA Quake, 1992approx. 160 megatons

I was there just 12 miles from the epicenter! Let me tell you it was awful! It took us a year to rebuild the damage done to our house and property. We were one of the luckier ones who lost a lot in it. One family lost their child, so sad he was the only fatality. I ended up in the emergency room with a dislocated shoulder.

We really felt lucky that it hit a rural area of SoCal if that quake had hit LA they would still be rebuilding today and the loss of life would be in the thousands.

Living in California you do get accustomed to the occasional shaker, but you can't protect yourself from them which is the scary part.

I'm glad you are ok Lee, it sure makes your heart beat fast don't it?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

yikes bc I can't imagine living with the constant threat even if it isn't always at the forefront of your mind.

I bet the doomsayer WTS didn't do much to calm waters with their constant reminders of earthquakes in one place and another

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit