Ottawa had an earthquake

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was sitting at the computer a few hours ago and all of a sudden the whole building started shaking. I'm on the top floor (5th) and I thought the books were going to fall off the shelves.

I've experienced earthquakes before in Montreal but always so mild you'd think a heavy truck was rolling by or a huge plane was flying low.

My first thought was "OMG an earthquake" When I looked out the window the kids were skating on the rink as if nothing weird happened so I figured it was a low plane

But I just caught the last minute of the News and they said we had an earthquake.

OMG I just found a news clipping about it 4.5

Magnitude 4.5 quake rocks Ottawa, western Quebec

CTV.ca News Staff

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage after Western Quebec and the Ottawa area were rocked Friday night by a "moderate" earthquake, Natural Resources Canada reported.

Sylvia Hayek, seismologist for Natural Resources Canada, said the earthquake measured a magnitude 4.5, but wasn't strong enough to cause major damage.

"It's a moderate earthquake, so we wouldn't expect any damage," Hayek said late Friday.

The temblor's epicentre was 20 kilometres east of Cumberland, Ont., 38 kilometres east of Gatineau, and about 42 kilometres east-northeast of Ottawa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on its website.

The earthquake, which was 15-kilometres deep, struck the area just past 8:30 p.m. ET.

Earlier estimates had placed the tremor at around magnitude 3.0, but analyst Angel Gutierrez told CP that the strength had been updated after the data was reviewed.

"It's still very small, but it's stronger than we first thought," he said.

"If (people) are already awake, yeah, they'll probably feel it, but I don't think it's going to wake up anybody," he said late Friday.

Ottawa police said they had received 100 to 150 calls from residents wondering what had happened.

"(People were) just wondering what the heck was going on," Ottawa police Sgt. Denis Cleroux told CP.

CTV's Mike Duffy, who lives west of Ottawa in Kanata, described what he heard as a "low rumble that sounded like an aircraft passing by."

As the quake became louder, Duffy said it sounded a bit more like "a washing machine that was out of balance and was making this huge whooshing sound."

Montreal radio station CJAD also reported receiving calls from several residents who said they felt a tremor.

Natural Resources Canada seismologist John Cassidy told CTV Newsnet that earthquakes are fairly common in the area.

"Small earthquakes occur just north of Ottawa through what's called the Western Quebec Seismic Zone and also along the St. Lawrence Valley so we do see small earthquakes occurring on a routine basis through that area," Cassidy said, adding that quakes of the same magnitude occur throughout the region about once every five to 10 years.

With files from The Canadian Press

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060224/ottawa_quake_060224

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm glad it was a minor shaker.

I've lived here in California for the past 10 years and have felt only one single quake that was like 3.0 on the scale. I keep wondering how lucky I've been and when the next big one comes...

• lola28
    lola28

Leo it is not that bad, the 1994 earthquake was kinda fun ( hey it got me out of school, hehe)

lola

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

As Johnny Carson would say, this is some fascinatin' schtuff:

Richter magnitudes

Events with magnitudes of about 4.5 or greater are strong enough to be recorded by seismographs all over the world.

The following describes the typical effects of earthquakes of various magnitudes near the epicenter. This table should be taken with extreme caution, since intensity and thus ground effects depend not only on the magnitude, but also on the distance to the epicenter, and geological conditions (certain terrains can amplify seismic signals).

DescriptorRichter magnitudesEarthquake EffectsFrequency of Occurrence
    MicroLess than 2.0Microearthquakes, not felt.About 8,000 per day
    Very minor2.0-2.9Generally not felt, but recorded.About 1,000 per day
    Minor3.0-3.9Often felt, but rarely causes damage.49,000 per year (est.)
    Light4.0-4.9Noticeable shaking of indoor items, rattling noises. Significant damage unlikely.6,200 per year (est.)
    Moderate5.0-5.9Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings over small regions. At most slight damage to well-designed buildings.800 per year
    Strong6.0-6.9Can be destructive in areas up to about 100 miles across in populated areas.120 per year
    Major7.0-7.9Can cause serious damage over larger areas.18 per year
    Great8.0-8.9Can cause serious damage in areas several hundred miles across.1 per year
    Rare great9.0 or greaterDevastating in areas several thousand miles across.1 per 20 years

(Adapted from U.S. Geological Survey documents.)

Great earthquakes occur once a year, on average. The largest recorded earthquake was Great Chilean Earthquake of May 22, 1960 which had a magnitude (M W ) of 9.5 (Chile 1960).

The following table lists the approximate energy equivalents in terms of TNT explosive force.

Richter
    Magnitude
    Approximate TNT for
    Seismic Energy Yield
    ExampleTNT equivalent of example
    0.55.6 kg (12.4 lb)Hand grenade6 lb
    1.032 kg (70 lb)Construction site blast30 lb
    1.5178 kg (392 lb)WWII conventional bombs320 lb
    2.01 metric tonlate WWII conventional bombs1 metric ton
    2.55.6 metric tonsWWII blockbuster bomb4.6 metric tons
    3.032 metric tonsMassive Ordnance Air Blast bomb29 metric tons
    3.5178 metric tonsChelyabinsk nuclear accident, 195773 metric tons
    4.01 kilotonSmall atomic bomb1 kiloton
    4.55.6 kilotonsAverage tornado (total energy)5.1 kiloton
    5.032 kilotonNagasaki atomic bomb32 kiloton
    5.5178 kilotonsLittle Skull Mtn., NV Quake, 199280 kiloton
    6.01 megatonDouble Spring Flat, NV Quake, 19941 megaton
    6.55.6 megatonsNorthridge quake, 1994approx. 5 megatons
    7.032 megatonsLargest thermonuclear weapon32 megatons
    7.5178 megatonsLanders, CA Quake, 1992approx. 160 megatons
    8.01 gigatonSan Francisco, CA Quake, 1906approx. 1 gigaton
    8.55.6 gigatonsAnchorage, AK Quake, 1964approx. 5 gigaton
    9.032 gigatons2004 Indian Ocean earthquakeapprox. 30 gigaton
    10.01 teratonestimate for a 10 km rocky bolide impacting at 25 km/s1 teraton
  • Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Lee, I'm so glad it wasn't serious, though I'm sure it gave you a fright somewhat.

Frannie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've experienced 3 and under when I was in Montreal. This was the strongest I ever felt.

I live less than 1 mile from the parliament buildings here in Canada's capital. I often hear helicopters patroling over head. In Montreal I always seemed to live right under the flight path of the airports so I am used to those sounds and the rumble they give.

I ought to know to trust my gut feelings

• JH
    JH

I didn't feel it here Lady Lee, but I was in bed, and it's not uncommon for my bed to be moving

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

JH I remember one in Montreal I was sleeping and it woke me up. I think the epicentre for that one was near Sherbrooke and we felt it in Montreal.

FHN Great info - thanks

Frannie Since I discounted it as a plane and the kids outside weren't reacting, I wasn't too scared - ok maybe for 15 seconds or so lol

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was in a 6.6 magnitude earthquake as a baby but I still remember it to this day.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow Leo

if this one felt the way it did here then I'm not surprised that you remeber a 6.6. Even if you didn't understand what it was I'm sure you understood the reactions of people around you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit