Ever had to go to hospital?

by greendawn 16 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

In general have you been physically healthy in your life or did you ever have a serious physical illness to the point that you needed hospitalisation?

Fortunately up to now I never had any such illness nor did ppl of my age that I know, except one (heart operation). The only one that died actually got killed in an accident at work after the machine he was operating snatched him and minced him. He had neglected to observe safety procedures.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I've been healthy my whole life, never had to stay overnight in a hospital or anything.

But I have had a lot of ear trouble - I was diagnosed with a cholesteotoma (a cyst) in my left ear when I was 14, so I had surgery to remove that and the mastoid bone, then more surgery later that year to replace the ossicles that it had destroyed, and last year, I had a nasty ear infection that made my body reject the replaced ossicles, so I had more surgery to remove another cholesteotoma and the regrown mastoid bone. All three surgeries were day-surgery, though, no overnight hospital stays for me. And luckily, the scars from the surgeries are behind my ear, so you can't see them at all. The only way you'd know that I had ear trouble is that I suffer from hearing loss in that ear and tinnitus (ringing of the ear), so if you talk to me from my left side, I can't hear what you're saying. I wouldn't consider myself to be "hearing impaired" by any means, but I don't hear a damn thing with that ear, so I think I'd qualify as being "hard of hearing" on my left side.

With regards to people my age being ill, I have one friend who was in a coma for a month in junior high and still has micro-seizures because the doctors don't know what's wrong with him (he's also an insulin-dependent diabetic), and a guy I grew up with died suddenly a couple of weeks ago of a heart attack, he was 21 years old.

That's about it for me. Other than the ear trouble, I'm nice and healthy. Good thing, too, I hate doctors and hospitals, they freak me out.

-Becka :)

• still angry
    still angry

I had a weird thing happen while I was pregnant, some rare disorder. My immune system shut down and I got the weirdest diseases includinjg Giardia, C-dif, etc...As I don't live or travel to third world countries and am an extremely hygenic person, I was immediately hospitalized and put in isolation so I couldn't contract any more illnesses. Then I went eclamptic, into HELPP syndrome and had my daughter at 32 weeks. I can no longer have any more children as a result of complications, but my daughter was worth all the pain!!!

• slugga
    slugga

Had a bit of a stay in hospital after a motorbike accident, I messed my face up, cracked my skull and broke my arms in two places.

It was pretty boring.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well I had two babies - no surgery involved but I was hospitalized twice during the second pregnancy due to complications

• tubes tied and some post baby repairs done
    • hysterectomy (separate operations)
    • had my appendix out in 2000

Now I have a few health problems but not serious enough to put me in the hospital but I sure visit them often enough for all the testing they have done.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I had a trip to the E.R. with an allergic reaction to Paxil ,an anti-depressant drug. It caused a seratoin rush which felt like my insides were on fire.

• delilah
    delilah

Yes, I've been to hospital to have each of my 3 babies. Surgery to repair a broken ankle, complete with metal pins and plates....THAT hurt worse than having my babies!! Two other surgeries involving the ankle, oh, and I had my gall bladder removed.

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

I have endometriosis, had to have Laparoscopic surgery to remove the Endo. and a fallopian tube. Very uncomfortable procedure.

I then had 2 miscarriages, had to go to the E.R.

Then spent a whole week in the hospital for a staff infection in my kidney.

The only thing that made these experiences bearable are the wonderful pain killers the hospitals can dish out. Also I have a great husband, he takes good care of me.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I have to have surgery next week. It will be the first time in my life I've ever stayed overnight in a hospital. I am very scared!

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

It really isn't that bad. I had great nurses and wonderful care. I was nervous as well but in retrospect it wasn't that bad. Take a good book, music and plan on being out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit