I bought a cross.

by lostlantern 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• prophecor
    prophecor

Nice, lost lantern. I have hopes of getting one myself. A simple silver or gold one.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    FYI, this is an ODIN's CROSS.

It is used by many white supremacists to show love for Jesus and love for Nordic, Aryan roots. An adapted form of this cross is used by the KKK, as well as many skinhead adherants.

I'm not condemning, just informing.

The cross by itself isn't necessarily a symbol of racism, but if coupled with other "celtic" things (such as runes), it could easily be construed as symbolic of white pride

Ok, I have to disagree with you. Yes, it's an Odin's Cross...also known as the "Solar-Cross". But many wear it for a spiritual, non-violent reasons. It's a spiritual symbol throughout the world. And it's been around for many years. It represents the solar calendar, which with that cross it's showing only the solstices. Each "point" represents each season or "solstice". Sometimes it will also show the equinoxes, but that one doesn't. Indians would wear this as a "compass". Here's a link that will explain what the cross means.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefssolar.htm

• slugga
    slugga

LOL you're still gonna get your ass busted for saying its a Celtic knot. See those three rings interlinked, they represent the three aspects of the holy trinity, the father, the son, and the holy ghost.

Personally I'd wear it and not give a hoot what your parents think.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Just a thought, have you thought about wearing it, but under you shirt? I wear a Pentacle which is also so misunderstood. But it's a religious symbol that means our "life" (fire, earth, water, air and spirit). I finally had to start wearing it under my shirt.

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

That is a good suggestion but my mother is so nosy and I am not ready to "completely come out".

I think I will exchange this cross for a differant pendant, I really don't want to offend my soon-to-be african brother-in-law.

I found this pendant that represents the never-ending circle of life and the eternal love between two people, I think it stands for what I want.

• daystar
    daystar

lostlantern

No matter what you get, you might offend someone, somewhere, sometime. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Then again, I wouldn't recommend wearing a zwaztika pendant either.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Lostlantern.... No matter which one you get, I think its awesome! I am thinking of purchasing one myself to get the reaction of my parents. I think its pretty, but if you want to exchange it out of respect then I'm sure the next one will be pretty too. :)

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    No matter what you get, you might offend someone, somewhere, sometime.

I agree...if it "looks" weird...then it must be evil from the standpoint of most people, especially JW's. It's frustrating because even with non-JW's, I have worn several different pendants, only to get "you must be a worshipper of satan" comments. My cherished pendants I wear under my shirt because they are meaningful for me...and if anyone tries to get "nosey", I'd knock their hand away. Though, I'm a bit more braver now since I've been out for 2 years, I'm still not brave enough to bring my pentacle out of "hiding".

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

What still boggles my mind about the wt is how they feel a cross is worshipped. I wear one (given to me by my wife whose family is jw and she is studying now) to remember the greatest sacrifice and remind me of Jesus, and that is all. When things are tough, I may find myself pinching it, but it is a constant reminder to me.

The cross you have is beautiful, but any cross worn as a reminder is!!!

• Brigid
    Brigid

I'm still not brave enough to bring my pentacle out of "hiding".

I hear ya, Freedom Frog! I still hang it inside my shirt. Always makes me feel good when I'm wearing it, though. This is true even among non-JWs. The other night I was at a pagan meetup, wearing my pentacle and a guy my hubby knows came in (we were in a public place). I just slipped it back into my shirt, told the group the situation, word got around the circle that I was way still in the broom closet and we left for the local diner.

I think religious jewelry is very beautiful. I did not know that the celtic cross was also used by the KKK. I did know that it is a very pagan symbol. The cross is the male encircled by the female.

~Brigid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit