Post Cult Trauma Syndrome

by rimbaudbunuel 13 Replies latest jw friends

• rimbaudbunuel
    rimbaudbunuel

I was browsing through some things on the internet and I came across this Post Cult Trauma Syndrome. I don't know how familiar everyone is with this term. This is the first time I had come across this syndrome and the symptoms correlate exactly to what I have been going through. Here is a link briefly describing it: http://www.refocus.org/postcult.html There are also other pages describing how you go through 3 different stages. The third being eventually acceptance and creating personal dreams. There is a lady in Australia who was a former witness who has a whole website, programs and some books I believe on the subject. I suffer from this syndrome. Was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or feel they suffer from it as well. Peace, Jonathan

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Thanks for the link Jonathan--looks like it could be very interesting and very helpful! I'm saving it to my favorites as I'm on my way out and don't have time to look it over too close right now.

~Merry

• rebel8
    rebel8

Here is mine, rim: http://www.lulu.com/ex-jw

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yup! I'm well aware of it. Symptoms look like the post exit syndrome experienced by prisoners who are exiting institutions. Believing Jehovah's Witnesses are institutionalized. Some have separation anxiety if they miss a couple meetings.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yup! You might want to check out the "jump to" window at the top of this page for Lady Lee's "Best of...." threads.......she covers different aspects of the PTSD that cult victims/survivors experience......

Here's a link to the psych issues.....http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/57203/1.ashx

• rimbaudbunuel
    rimbaudbunuel

Wow - Thanks for the info guys. I'm new here and i'm still fresh out of jw's and still have to deal with it on a day to day basis so i'm really uninformed still. Thanks again for the responces. Jonathan

• anewme
    anewme

My feelings are that if you dont deal with it professionally, the problems will just fester and you will lose even more precious years floundering and suffering. Get some good advice and get very clear about what has happened to you and move on.

Best wishes,

Anewme

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Here's the link frannie posted http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/57203/1.ashx

The woman in Australia was Jan G who passed away a couple of years ago. I believe her family kept the website going for a while but it seems to have finally disappeared. Jan did post here and some of her work was regarding recovery issues. I believe ozzie might have known her. I might also have some of her work on a CD here (hope it wasn't on the trashed CD)

The best of.... JanG - Recovery info

You might also want to check out The Best of... Lady Lee, The Best of... larc, and The Best of... Recovery threads

You might find some repeats but there is tones of great info here.

Post-Cult Trauma Syndrome is related to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder/Syndrome. War veterans, abuse survivors, cult survivors and other trauma survivovrs all experience similar symptoms after leaving the cult. It can make them feel crazy sometimes but understanding the process can really help understand what is happening.

One other thing you might want to look at is the series I have been working on Captive Hearts, Captive Minds/Take Back Your Life. I tis geared to cults in general but you will be amazed at how the WTS fits the mold. Next week we will be starting on the recovery process.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

That's great information. I read some of the info on that site and wow it really hits home. I always thought that I was just suffering from low self-esteem and depression, but after reading some of that info it looks like I was suffering from post cult trauma.

• rimbaudbunuel
    rimbaudbunuel

Right On. What part of cali are you from? J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit