Info wanted. What would you do?

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can't see why you don't just have things delivered as I suppose the service is free or costs nominally. Are there any other stores within a larger radius that would deliver for free? Are they sophisticated enough to accept orders through the internet?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Shopping for groceries sounds like a real chore.

You could order your groceries over the internet from an online store. I have heard the quality is good as all the fresh food is coming straight from the warehouse.

Then you will have more time to shop where you really want to.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I hate being treated as a number, a puppet on the strings, powerless.

It seems to me, Lady Lee, that you have buying power well beyond your own meagre income. You are articulate and you can write. You present the very real threat of describing this experience to a larger audience, including the local paper.

My dad says, "Once around and up."

Yes, follow through with writing the company, but if you get the royal run-around, also submit your story to the local paper.

You are not an inconvenience. You are not an obstacle to the smooth running business of that grocery chain. You represent hundreds of purchases from a population who likes to believe that this grocery chain still has heart.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, stating the obvious. In your complaint, provide specific examples of how they can make the situation right, including a clear description of their policy and your obligations, and a personal apology from the manager who spoke to you. Specify that the apology is to be written above third grade reading level, and repitition is unnecessary.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

greendawn

I can't see why you don't just have things delivered as I suppose the service is free or costs nominally. Are there any other stores within a larger radius that would deliver for free? Are they sophisticated enough to accept orders through the internet?

Having it delivered is no problem. They charge me the senior's rate $4.50 which is more than half but still a great rate.

The issue is that as a person in a wheelchair I can't drive a wheelchair AND roll a shopping cart through the store and I can't reach items on the higher shelves of in the coolers with doors on them. Even if I am just picking up a few items. I can't put a basket on my lap, steer the wheelchair and reach for higher items. I have to sit and wait for someone to come by to ask for help. Most people are great and many offer to help but if there aren't a lot of people around then it means sitting there and waiting until someone comes by.

JG

Thanks for the added info

• blondie
    blondie

Lady Lee, I can understand your dilemma. I have learned over the years of dealing with reluctant government employees and health administrators, to always get names, position/department, phone number. I would let it go this time since you can't be sure of the name of the individual. It is good to go up the chain of command to get the person with the authority to make these decisions. I would try the head of the customer relations in that store/company, emphasizing the positive reasons you shop there and how they might help you further. I would also investigate what options there are through any government agencies that assist people in wheelchairs. Here in this area there are 2 volunteer agencies that provide volunteers to help with shopping, mostly from the local churches.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

Another option might be to call the store and find out when during the week they are not very busy, and would be able to spare an employee to help you for the time you need to shop. I always do my shopping on a Tuesday morning - it's practically dead in the store in terms of customer traffic. I'm in and out quickly and there are always employees who look like they need something to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit