WHAT IS WT POSITION ON RECOMBINANT BLOOD FACTORS?

by badboy 3 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I understand that chinese hamsters ovary cells are genetically modified to produce Factors VIII AND IX.

Are they allowed under jw doctrine?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Factor VIII has been a "conscience matter" for decades, even if it is made from human blood.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/hemophilia.html See also Crisis of Conscience, pg. 106-107.

• whyizit
    whyizit

I couldn't believe that one myself. They won't allow human blood, but hamster "stuff" is okay! Go figure!

My JW friend was telling me how people used to infuse blood of cows, etc....and how appaling that is. I said, "I thought that was okay?!" She said, "No way!" I said, "But they allow Hemopure, and it is made from cow blood." Again, "No way!" I said, "Yep! I'm pretty sure. If you find out I'm mistaken, let me know, but I'm sure I have that right. Bovine blood. Bovine is another word for cow, right?" (She lives on a farm and has been a vet tech. :0) )

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My own experience is that they allow whatever the local elders are in the mood to allow, and who it is that is involved. I see ALOT of power trips on this topic. I'm sure you all know by now how I feel about this, and the lengths I've gone to in order to save a life with blood. My blood BOILS every time this issue comes up. It's almost enough to make me go really postal!!

shelley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit