For slugga and diamondblue1974 (and whomever else is interested)

by Wolfgirl 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My answer would have gotten lost after 4 pages of actual on-topic discussion. This started out as a question about my username, if anyone else is reading.

slugga: is that a real wolf pup? And the puma, aren't its claws dangerous?

Yes, that was a real wolf pup. It was his first time out with all those people around, so he was really nervous. He stayed on my lap the entire time (2 1/2 hours).

Is the puddy tat stuffed...because I wouldnt have gone anywhere near it if it was alive, and I have a penchant for big cats too! DB74

And no, Maya was not a stuffed puma. She was about 100 pounds (at the time; not fully grown) of real cat. She could have been dangerous, yes. I was one of only two people who was allowed to handle her. She liked me.

Here you can see her standing up, as opposed to laying in my lap:

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Thank you for clarifying...shes an absolute beauty...not sure whether I would have the balls to handle her though....I think I will stick to my little domestic tabby; shes vicious enough!

DB74

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Stunning photos wolfgirl..

Could you fill me in on what you're doing with these lovely beasts. Wildlife laws are very different over here.

wombatman

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Cool pics!!!!!

I did some volunteer work for a non-profit organization that rehabilitated wild birds-of-prey. Very rewarding. It's a cool feeling to be that close to a wild animal. My mom had this thing for wolf hybrids. We had several around the house growing up. None of them were ever very good pets. It wasn't their fault, they were naturally very independent and aloof. I think it's a good thing to shelter a wild animal that, for one reason or another, can't make it on their own in their natural environment though.

-Breck

• slugga
    slugga

Hmmmmmmm...

Db I think someones trying to take us for fools... That's a PJ case, check out the zip

alt

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Db I think someones trying to take us for fools... That's PJ case, check out the zip

LOL

• slugga
    slugga

Wolfgirl, the wolf pup looks huge when compaired to Dog pups and you really had some balls handling a wild cat like that it could have disfigured you with just a swipe of its claw

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Hee-hee! Nice zip! I could have used one for all my various surgeries.

In explanation, when I lived in the US, I used to do volunteer wildlife education programs with various people. Those who ran the programs had to be strictly licensed and their living conditions, etc., were constantly monitored. Some of the animals were unable to be returned to the wild, due to injury or other causes. (Not the case with the wolf or the puma.) All the animals were brought to various institutions (schools, community centers, etc.) to teach people, especially children, about wildlife and conservation. Many of the city kids had never seen animals up close, and none had ever had more than a zoo encounter. Some of the animals we would bring, the kids could touch. (They were not allowed to touch the predators that I worked with, except on very rare occasions, with animals that had been raised since birth around humans and were used to being handled.)

I myself have never had a fear of any animals except snakes, and I used those programs to overcome even my fear of snakes. Now I love them, and I used to handle them all the time, including a Burmese python that weighed nearly as much as I did at the time.

It all comes down to knowing an animal's behaviour, and knowing when to stay away. As much as I love wolves and other predators, and no matter how at ease they are with me, I would NEVER be that close at feeding time.

• lowden
    lowden

I live in Lancashire....but for some reason i now wanna move to Lincolnshire

Nice photos Wolfgirl

Peace

Lowden

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

You want to move to Cauliflower County?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit