A Special Tribute To Someone In My Life....Part 1

by SWALKER 11 Replies latest jw friends

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

A Special Tribute

On December 20, 2005, I lost someone very dear to me. Until now, I haven’t been able to speak of his death and it’s still almost too fresh and painful to write about even today. I remember the first time I saw him and it was love at first sight. He came strutting across a beautiful lush green manicured lawn and decided he loved us as well. We sat there for a few minutes getting acquainted and not long thereafter we took our precious new member of the family home with us. I still remember looking at him in awe, marveling at the beauty of our new yellow puppy and I can still remember his sweet puppy breath. I held him close and with eyes closed enjoyed my first lick of his tongue across my face and giggled, together with my young son, delighted to have this creature join us in our life.

Yes, it was tough at first, as puppies are about as much trouble as a newborn human baby. You have to get up all hours of the night and they need constant attention and supervision. But as with all things, you reap bountifully if you’re willing to put the time and effort into anything.

I’ve had dogs before, but none that ever measured up to K. (For anonymity reasons, I’ll just use his first initial.) It may have been because of his pedigree or it may be that he was just one in a thousand! He came from a long line of champion show dogs. His grandfather was an international champion and was loaned out to the U.S. from England, to forever pass this lineage along and hopefully these bloodlines will never die out. England thank you so much in the role you played in bringing this creature into my life.

He seemed to know that he had royal blood from the very beginning. We didn’t plan on having a dog live inside the house with us. He changed that very quickly. He didn’t bark like most dogs, he used a mournful cry and that sad faced look to get his way. It wasn’t long before we forgot all about our resolve to keep him outside.

As he grew, he learned to open the front door and let himself in anytime he thought we had left him outside too long. It always reminded me of the Flintstone’s scene, where Fred would put the big cat outside every night and somehow Fred would end up outside banging on the door to get in. That has happened a few times to me. K would sit there looking through the glass and I would be trying to find the key to unlock to door.

He absolutely loved food. He would always look in the refrigerator with me as if helping to decide what we would cook. He wasn’t nearly as picky as most people I knew. He was grateful for anything you’d toss his way. There were a few things that he turned his nose up at, but I don’t blame him. He did not like any fat, so if you fixed him a steak, all the fat had to trimmed off. He turned his nose up at road-kill and thought all his many cousins (dogs) were out of their minds for even sniffing at horrible things like that. Come to think of it, he didn’t really consider himself a dog…he was a member of our family.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Yes, it was tough at first, as puppies are about as much trouble as a newborn human baby. ; You have to get up all hours of the night and they need constant attention and supervision. ; But as with all things, you reap bountifully if you’re willing to put the time and effort into anything. ;

My daughter picked up an abandoned pup, I said we are not going to keep it. We are going through this now.

Falling in love with it now.

My weimeriner has heartworms and most likely won't pull through. Very much a part of the family.

So I know how you feel.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    Falling in love with it now.

That's what happens!!! Darn it!!!

My weimeriner has heartworms and most likely won't pull through. Very much a part of the family.

So sorry...I had a dog that had heartworms and she pulled through!!! We could not believe it!

Hope for the best,

Swalker

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

SWALKER,

I'm really sorry to hear about the death of your pal. I have a great dog that is every bit a family member. I too put in the time and effort to get him to puppy pre-school, put him through puppy pee-school, and teach him some manners. It has paid off in a big way. He's getting along in years now. I'm sure he has a few good ones left in him (knocking on wood), but he has subtle things about him that tell me he's getting old. He has a harder time getting up from sleeping than he used to. I take him fishing with me all the time and nowadays notice that the cold river water is beginning to tire him out more quickly. He has a harder time jumping into my truck, etc. I get a little misty eyed when I think about losing him. (He's lying on my feet as I write this.) In many ways, he has been the most loyal friend I have ever had. I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now. I'm so sorry.

(Raising a glass to "K")

(((((((((SWALKER)))))))))

-Breck

• Alana
    Alana

((((((((((SWALKER)))))))))

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your special family member. I love dogs, too, and believe that they are people too! (My German Shepherd does the same refrigerator thing.....he wants to help so much.) Is that your dog on your avator? I love that pic.

"Alana"

p.s.--I just finished the book "Marley & Me" and I recommend it to all dog lovers.......

• gumby
    gumby

Hey Swalker....I know what you mean. I cried and hurt more over my Char Pei we had since it's birth(actually watched her birth).....than my own fathers death. Why, I don't know, since I loved my dad. However...I NOW miss my dad more than I do our dog that died in 2001.

Gumby

• luna2
    luna2

So hard to lose a pet member of your family. Part 1 of your tribute made me smile through the tears.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Swalker,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, pets can be as much a part of the family as children (I have both, so I know). They communicate with you on levels beyond human communication.

In some beliefs, one has an animal that cycles in and out with their human counterpart throughout many lifetimes, simply being with them, at times guiding them, but mostly just being there.

My heart goes out to you,

~Brigid

• Confession
    Confession

Hugs to you, SWalker... Mine is a cat. My daughter picked her out, but it was the kitty who picked me. Kimba decided I would be her pet, and (along with my 18 year old daughter) we have enjoyed a very family-style relationship now for six years. I love her and know I will be heartbroken when she's gone.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Thank you all for your kind words...It's very difficult to write this story as their is so much heartache that goes along with it. I hope to write another page later on today...here is one of my favorite pictures of him:

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit