When do you think WTBS became a cult?

by lighthouse1956 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

• Think
    Think

From the beginning. And if you dig in their history, you will see that they are more like Occult, with the magic symbols, pyramids, "spirit" inspiret and so on.

Demonic Occult.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It was a cult since the beginning because Rusell thought very highly of himself and his followers believed they could not understand the Bible correctly without his writings.

He did however accept some democracy in the local congos. Rutherford turned this into a total cult by making it a totalitarian org which he then isolated from the rest of the world by demonising everything in it.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

It became a cult when one man decided to say, "Hey, I think I'm going to make a religion and hope that people follow it." It made it worse when Rutherford decided to put in his opinion and be a dumbass (I know that's not great terms, but I'm in that sort of mood today ). And that is when it leaves us here :)

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Without getting into the denotative , co nnotative , and nuance d dance around the word "cult" it seems like most agree Rutherford made a huge change. The Pre-Rutherford democracy (elected elders, etc.) and "interdenominational flavor" of Russell's message were completely extinguished by Rutherford say ...from 1919 (The Golden Age) on. Many criticisms of Russell are valid but ....there is no way he was as destructive as those after him. I have interacted with some current Bible Students (some are here) and it seems to me that when the emphasis was shifted from "building the Christian personality" to preaching .... folks lost the love. It is a grievous thing, this organization.

• James Free
    James Free
    it seems to me that when the emphasis was shifted from "building the Christian personality" to preaching .... folks lost the love.

I agree totally.

When someone used to say to me brother x was 'strong' in the 'truth' I would always ask why they say it. The answer was NEVER he had a Christian personality, always about priviliges, meeting attendance and being seen on the ministry (being seen was the important part).

• lighthouse1956
    lighthouse1956

James Free- I apoligize if you thought I was calling anyone names, but

I did ASK when did anyone _Think- WTBS became a cult.

Basicly using wts tatics of usisg a question instead of outright charging them with anything. It's what Satan did to Eve, and certainly Rutherford, as do attorneys in court, use quite a bit.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

I would swing with when Russell died and Rutherford took over. And Rutherford made one of the brothers shave his beard. Whenever everyone was ordered to believe exactly the same thing? Was that when Rutherford took over?

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    And Rutherford made one of the brothers shave his beard.

Do you have a reference for that, please? I'd like to read about it. Thank you.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

I'm sorry, I know it's in 'Jehovah's Witnesses" Proclaimers of God's Kingdom....but I can't find it.. I'll keep looking and I'll PM when I find it ( about the beard )....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit