Mental Health Issues in JW Women

by Seven 33 Replies latest watchtower medical

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Your post is good but I wonder what you mean when you say that "a woman can Pioneer, which gives you status, but that isoutside the congregation..." When you say outside, I guess you must mean physically outside of the hall but SOCIALLY within the JW network of friends. Right??

I guess I didn't make that clear. By outside the congregation, I mean that women who pioneer are mostly doing their work outside the congregation compared to other religions where women minister to the needs within their Congregation. You could argue that these pioneers are an inspiration to others in the congregation, but it's not directly affecting anyone there. I know some enjoyed the field service, but I did not, and since that was the only acceptable function as a Jehovah's Witness woman (not counting being a wife and mother), I did not find being a JW to be fulfilling in any way.

In one church I attended, a woman was the pastor, another did the bible reading, others played instruments or sang, they had official greeters, they took turns bringing food to share. This is in addition to charitable works they did through the church. It seemed like a much better system for everyone involved. The JWs, on the other hand, would not even trust a woman to hand out magazines, unless there was no brothers available at all. It seems short sighted, and silly, as if having a penis makes you automatically better at everything.

Many former elders complained that they had a heavy load of responsibilities, while it's obvious there were probably more that a few women that would have enjoyed some responsibilities in the congregation. I know they justify it by interpretation of scripture (I do not permit a woman to teach, bla, bla, bla), but even if you accept those few scriptures as the only word on the matter (and I don't) , does it forbid women from helping in any way? I wouldn't think so. Why couldn't women handle the mikes, hand out Watchtower's, arrange field service arrangements, read the Watchtower or do counseling?

When I was a JW, I found the field service to be a waste of time, you spend a whole morning to talk to one or two people, it was so ineffective. I would have been glad to do something that felt more like you had accomplished something at the end of it.

• JT speaks-out
    JT speaks-out

My mother and I had to move congregations when I was in my teens. In the new congregation (we arrived in August) she met a man who was about 20 years older than her who supposedly had a good reputation in the congregation. She had never met him before. I know she had felt lonely at times and probably inferior because most of the jw women she knew were married and she kept hearing the bs that children had to have two parents. She was engaged to this man by November and they were married by the following May. Within a couple of months it was clear that she regreted the marriage and that she really didn't know him at all.

My mother is someone who considers herself to have a close relationship with "jehovah", but she never seems to be honestly happy. Oh yeah, she gets manic about conventions and stuff like that, but that's not the same as happy.

Now she is stuck with this arsehole who she is not allowed to leave even though there is no feeling between them and he yells at her and hits her.

He tried being aggressive towards me, once, but he got the same right back and then I walked out, never to return.

Their wedding had already been one of the big turning points for me in realising what the cult was really like. I had been to a few jw weddings when I was quite young, but this one was the first where I had really listened to the marriage vows. What stood out to me was that the man was to "love and cherish" his wife, but the woman had to "love and cherish and deeply respect" her husband.

• Focus
    Focus

The Watchtower's heinous crimes against mankind are dwarfed only by their heinous crimes against womankind...

I am naturally protective towards the fairer sex.

Which is why I gave fair warning to all those who, deliberately or otherwise, assist the WTS in any way, that you will probably find my reaction disproportionate.

And I will move it to RL if at all possible, and then I will take pleasure at ruining your life - or making a damned good attempt at it.

Disproportionate only if you fail to grasp that I will hold you personally spiritually and morally responsible, indeed bloodguilty, for every death of a child as a result of the blood policy, and every rape of a child as a result of the two-witnesses policy.

In that light, my response will be mild.

And after all, I am only following Watchtower teaching on "Godly hate".

Please interpret my sig in the light of my flat refusal to delegate "upwards"

__

Focus

("Deuteronomy 32:35" Class)

• JT speaks-out
    JT speaks-out

As has been said in other discussions, everyone is supposed to love "jehovah" more than their own family. This tears a lot of people apart. God is supposed to come before parental instincts and natural humanity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit