Stoning to death - God's loving provision

by Pleasuredome 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I remember being told as a teenager that if I had done that in Israelite times I would have been stoned. Like they were disappointed all they could do was ground me.

• M.J.
    M.J.

*** g79 10/8 p. 16 Purity of the Bible Text Threatened ***

It was obvious from the start that the text of Tischendorf’s discovery was basically identical with that which was the foundation for today’s Bibles. Yet it revealed evidence of tampering.

An example is the familiar account at John 8:1-11 (Authorized Version) about an adulterous woman about to be stoned, and that reports Jesus as saying, ‘Let him that is without sin cast the first stone.’ It was not in this early manuscript. So later editions of the Bible have removed it or put it in a footnote to refine the Bible text. Other additions were also found and deleted.—Matt. 17:21; 18:11; Acts 8:37.

The NWT provides this note:

(John 7:53) Manuscripts ?BSy s omit [chapter 7] verses 53 to chapter 8, verse 11, which read (with some variations in the various Greek texts and versions) as follows:. . .
  • Brigid
    Brigid

Hey, I got that line, too...."you know, in the days of the Israelites, you could be stoned to death for the way you ------(fill in the blank)....

Nice

~Brigid

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They loved to hold it out as something that should be done to people today. Yet they cannot even tolerate those who would stone a building:

From the 9-1-1953 Watchtower Page 520

Kingdom

Hall Stoning Protested

CHRIST JESUS foretold that his followers would "be hated by all the nations on account of my name". (Matt. 24:9, NW) Among the ways in which this hatred manifests itself is by the stoning of the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah’s witnesses. However, not all people who note such stonings approve of them. Men of good will, lovers of righteousness and of freedom of worship, often strongly protest such acts of bigotry and intolerance. For example, on April 23, 1953, the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s witnesses in Easton, Pennsylvania, was stoned for the second time, and that while a congregational meeting was in progress. The Easton Express said editorially:

I am not sure if the Kingdom Hall in question died quickly or not after two stonings.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit