what Do I Write In An Appeal Letter?

by Diogenes 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenes
    Diogenes

My friend has just been disfellowshipped today...

They want to appeal?

What are the kinds of things that should be written in an appeal letter?

I really appreciate any swift responses, as time is of the essence, due to the pesky 1 week rule!

Many thanks,

Diogenes

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The only thing the appeal committee will consider - normally at least - is weather the case was properly handled according to WT rules. They will not render a differing verdict unless that is the case. Going to my copy of the elder's handbook to see if anything there might help.

Jeff

• Diogenes
    Diogenes

Thanks AK...

Not really the news I wanted to hear but appreciated nonetheless.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Not much in writing about what should be there. They will seek to establish that error was made. If no error - the judgement stands, so focus on this aspect. Technicalities prob won't fly - but a biased original committee would be a positive. Or the lack of two witnesses. Or a lying witness. Those kind of things.

Jeff

Question Box 1/80 Kingdom Ministry

When a congregation judicial committee, after hearing charges and considering the evidence in the case, reaches the conclusion that the accused person should be disfellowshiped, how should they deal with him?

It will be appropriate for the committee to speak with him and let him know that their decision is that he should be disfellowshiped from the congregation. They should ask him if he intends to appeal. He may do this if he believes a serious error in judgment was committed. In the event that he wishes to appeal, announcement of the disfellowshiping decision would be held in abeyance. In that case the person should be told that he will be allowed one week’s time to make his appeal in writing to the judicial committee giving his reasons. When such written appeal is received, the body of elders should arrange for an appeal committee to rehear the case within a week whenever possible. They may use local elders or elders from nearby congregations; these should be men who are experienced and qualified. If a traveling overseer can conveniently participate, or suggest who might serve on the appeal committee, it would be good. The elders may wish to telephone the branch office for counsel on forming an appeal committee. However, this usually is unnecessary.

On the other hand, if the accused person does not indicate that he wishes to appeal, the judicial committee will draw up an appropriate brief announcement to be read to the congregation. Additionally, they should explain to the accused person the need for repentance and what other steps he can take toward being reinstated in due time. This would be both helpful and kind, with the hope that he will change his ways, and with time qualify to return to Jehovah’s organization.—2 Cor. 2:6, 7.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I appealed my D'fd, it's been mostly blocked from my memory but I did write a letter that contained mostly emotional reasons why they should reconsider. ( I was repented,so much time had passed etc )

I believe I even threw in a few scriptures for good measure. Didn't matter it was a done deal as far as they were concerned.

That's all I got, good luck to your friend!

Dams

• Diogenes
    Diogenes

Again, thanks very much AK. Very useful information...I didn't hold out much hope anyway but if you can get one over on the self-righteous ******** it's worth a shot.

• Diogenes
    Diogenes

Thanks Damselfly,

I was thinking of tossing in a smattering of scriptures but considering the org they'd probably take more notice of W.T quotes!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You can read the "Flock Book" that elders use for JC's. You need to review Units 4 and 5... especially 5c part1, 5c part2 and 5c part3

http://www.davidgladden.com/jw/PayAttention/Default.htm

• Diogenes
    Diogenes

Elsewhere,

That's brilliant, thanks for that.

After reading it I don't see how their appeal can fail...Especially taking into consideration the love of the elders

• willyloman
    willyloman

You'd have to prove a "serious error in judgment" occurred at the original hearing, I'm afraid.

I only sat on one appeal committee that overturned the original decision. In that unique case, the 17 year old girl accused of "loose conduct" brought her parents to the appeal committee.

The original JC presented the facts, which were essentially that the girl was dating a young man in her congo who was not yet baptized (parents were dubs) and the elders had gone to the parents and urged the exercise of caution. The parents had told the elders there wasn't much they could do, they had talked to her and she insisted on seeing the kid. So the elders told the parents they'd talk with her, and two of them did. They told her she shouldn't be dating the fellow because he wasn't a dub yet.

The girl copped the same attitude with them. They were pissed (authority ignored is a cardinal sin in the dub elder world).

A JC was formed and they met with the girl by herself, told the parents they could come if they wanted but it wasn't really necessary. They thought they could straighten out her thinking by themselves. When the girl wouldn't admit she'd done anything wrong by going out with the guy (there was no hanky panky), the elders chose to view this "blatant disregard for counsel" as "loose conduct" and DF'd her.

At the urging of her parents, she appealed.

We were sent in by the CO from another congo. At the appeal hearing, we asked the parents how concerned they were about the girls' attitude. They said she did continue to date the guy, but only with other couples. They were always chaperoned and, in fact, the parents were not as opposed to the idea as the original elders had suggested. The young man was planning to be baptized at the next assembly, which by now was just weeks away. The parents were resigned to the fact that the kids would probably get married when she turned 18, and were just happy they'd kept their clothes on.

We determined the original JC had over-reacted and had let their pride get in the way, and made a mistake in not having the parents attend the hearing since this was a minor child. We overturned the decision. Boy were they pissed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit