Anyone else miss their record collection?

by free2beme 28 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was just thinking today about the 1980's and all those records I used to have. I remember how they skipped through some of the best songs, or warped in the heat on the way home. How I thought I was some hot property for getting the beloved diamond needle. I remember when I bought my first stereo for my own apartment and worried when it did not come with a turn table. I guess I was going to have to copy all those records to cassettes, never going to stop using cassettes after all. Just thinking back in time, and remembering all the more why I am glad the times have not skipped like a broken record over the same flawed technologies. Yet in some small way, I do miss my record player. Anyone else miss those days?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No - I kept my collection and have nice turntable to play them

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I still have my albums from the late 60's and 70's but now record player to play them! I'll have to check out E-bay.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You can still buy new record players and turn tables. I bought a used turntable and it turned out to be crummy. We bought a record player when they were selling them where I work. It's a Philco replica. The speaker doesn't put out great sound, but there were outlets on the back for speakers. So we play it through an old 8 track AM/FM stereo Andy got on Ebay.

I have some records from the late 70's and 80's I bought. I have some LP's, too. I go to used record stores and pick up LP's and 45's. I just wish I had every record I ever bought during the 1960's. I miss them. Thanks a lot, Mom for throwing them away when I left home. Tapes and CD's just don't have the same magic as records. Beatles records sound much better and warmer than CD's do.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

That's it I'm disfellowshiping every last one of you!

In the early '80s the order came through from Watchtower Central that we had to get rid of our worldly records, especially ones with hidden symbols & messages (or not so hidden). My Friend Udo was a Black Sabbath fan and obediently tossed all Ozzies stuff in the trash. Six months later poor Udo got very upset when he found out I still had my collection - Led Zep, Bob Dylan, David bowie, Elvis Costello, The Clash, Sex Pistols and other evil vinyl

goodbye cassette tape ..all hail the mp3

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

What are these "records" that you speak of?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Fortunately I didn't get rid of any of my disco music records, I never had any heavy metal as I don't like that style of music, I could never understand why disco music was wrong in any way.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    could never understand why disco music was wrong in any way.

Yeah and ..the huge disco hit Thriller was just Bro Jacksons rendition of the gospel scene where the graves were opened up and the dead entered into the city. How come the Watchtower boys canned him for that?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Vinyl maaaan. Even as a dub I played my Stranglers, Buzzcocks and Elvis LOUD! Still do. Go to gigs, take my kids to live bands in pubs, bought them turntables, drink beer and sing. I still enjoy 'discovering' music that I couldn't afford as a kid. Like Smiths, Sparks, Neil Young,Doors. And I keep up with The Shins, Maximo Park, System Of a Down and anything I think is good enough.

And apparently I can transfer them all to DAT ready for when "compact disks" come on the market.We'll see.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    And apparently I can transfer them all to DAT ready for when "compact disks" come on the market.We'll see

LOL!!! - hey bm, you got popup toasters over there yet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit