S A D

by purplesofa 14 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder

February is an especially hard month for me every year. Does anyone out there have this? It is a little worse than winter blues.

For me the lack of energy seems to be the most dominating symptom. I could lay down and not get up till Spring and be perfectly happy.

Things that are very easy any other time, in the dead of Winter are such a chore.......take so much longer to accomplish.

I know there is light treatment........has anyone tried it?

Come on Spring!!!!!

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I think I am having that feeling too. I've been sick and its been playing a role on my attitude. But you just don't want to do anything and you want to lay around and just be sad. And right now I am at the point where I dont even know if I want to be in school and I know that once its warmer out and the sun is out more that I won't feel that way. But right now, I feel just bleh! But it will pass!

• poppers
    poppers

About 20 years ago I noticed that on my brother's birthday, February 23, there was light until 6 pm. After that my mood about winter changed. That date has become my unofficial first day of spring - and here it is, only 3 more days until the 23rd!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Purplesofa,

YES! January and February are terrible months for me. It never really dawned on me that it was SAD, until one year my doctor recommended that I hit a tanning salon a couple times a week. It really did help! But I've since sworn off those skin cancer beds, so I try to tough it out instead. In spite of this being a mild winter, I am SO ready for Spring. I need my warmth and sun and shorts. It does help knowing what it is and knowing that there is an end in site. Just knowing that March will bring new energy in my world is enough to keep me going for a bit longer.

Andi

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I had a friend in college who battled with this. She also hit the tanning bed and it helped her out a lot, but not as much as spring.

I hope that the next couple of weeks until Spring seem very short.

CountryGuy

• kid-A
    kid-A

I never used to have it but lately I have bee feeling totally unmotivated. Not depressed, just complete lack of focus and motivation which is awful since I have tons of deadlines

due in the winter months. I am thinking of some light therapy. So far I have just been using beer therapy, which definitely helps!

• Cellist
    Cellist

We started using colour corrected light bulbs last winter. We've both noticed a difference. We haven't felt S A D yet this year and it's been an especially dark and gloomy winter.

Cellist

• greendawn
    greendawn

I used to get this from November but now it's more like January and February that I feel low, they say it has to do with the production of a hormone in the eye, by the action of light, that drops during the winter darker times.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    I used to get this from November but now it's more like January and February that I feel low, they say it has to do with the production of a hormone in the eye, by the action of light, that drops during the winter darker times.

It is like that for me as well..........what I find wierd is that December 21 is the shortest day of the year.......so why does SAD seem to peak in February?

• blondie
    blondie

I know of several who have used light treatment very successfully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit