Does Anyone Here Know Anything About....

by Legolas 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

My first thought was sandbar/or silt deposit. Have they recently dredged any of the harbours? It looks like it has been affected by water flow by the shape of it.

My two cents.

Uzzah

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

That is PICTOU ISLAND in the Northumberland Strait.

Sounds like a nice place; in fact the photos I saw of PEI while I was looking into this were very pleasant. You live in a beautiful place!

For more info about PICTOU ISLAND, see http://www.pictouisland.com/

The puzzle is why the island looks so white in the Google Earth photo. - it is not a "false color" image, and Pictou Island is not a top secret military installation...

but wait! That is the perfect cover for a top secret military installation!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/oceans/living/color.html

Sorry I'm not techie enough to know how to embed a web page on here yet!

I found this site as a follow-up to my 'algae' theory. It's about a particular type (with a long name beginning with 'c'!) which is calcium based and is very good at reflecting light (see the bottom of the page for an image of some off South America). The closer it is to the surface, the brighter it will get. Since (I assume) the water is pretty cold around PEI, and it's salt water (?) too, the water may be quite dense enabling the algae to be very close to the surface. Edit: Gee I'm so slow at typing - well in case it isn't Pictou Island....!

• Legolas
    Legolas
    That is PICTOU ISLAND in the Northumberland Strait.

LMFAO...I was just coming on here to say that I found out what it was!

I never even heard of it before...Boy do I feel like a fool!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

*sigh*

Maybe it's a phosphorescent turd floating in a fishbowl...

Maybe the mapmakers are confused - it can't possibly be an island, can it? It looks so TINY on that map - it's only like an inch and a half long - who ever heard of an inch-and-a-half island?

alt

The real question is not "WHAT IS IT?" (it is pretty easy to figure that out) but "WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE THAT?"

I suggest that when the images were taken, the image of Pictou was taken on a foggy day, and that the foggy pictou was composited with a beautifully clear shot of the Northumberland Strait as a little joke by the map geeks.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Yup! That's Pictou Island. It is very small.

In one of the last bad storms we had in NS, the majority of the seal pups were swept out to sea from the beaches there and drowned. The moms tried to rescue them but the waves were too strong. Who knew that baby seals couldn't swim? That's a major design flaw in my opinion!

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit