Help! How do I get my computer to reboot?

by MsMcDucket 15 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The scrap file you mentioned, was it a genuine scrap file, or were you just calling it that? Scrap files are wonderful carriers of viruses, since they let the virus have access to whatever program the scrap was created for. How did this file wind up on her machine?

Dave

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The scrap file showed up on her desktop. It looked like a little battery or something. I was unable to delete it. She had managed to get the scrap file to show up on this computer too. I went into properties and had it condensed. Then I did a search for it in files and (hopefully) deleted it. I hope that it isn't attached to a file that I have not found. I run a program to search for viruses, every night, on this computer. So far, it's still working. It seems that the scrap file comes through Napster, but I'm not sure.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Has her computer booted ok now?

• slugga
    slugga

Sounds to me like a virus has deleted her boot sector

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hitting the F1 key got me to bios, but I can't do a darn thing with it. I reset the default settings and nothing happens. It just goes to the blue screen again.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Hitting the F1 key got me to bios, but I can't do a darn thing with it. I reset the default settings and nothing happens. It just goes to the blue screen again.

You should have been changing the boot device settings normally called something like "1st boot device:" in order to boot from a bootable floppy or the Windows CD ROM and making sure you put that disk in before you start. Just changing it to the default settings wont help. edited to add - it may already be set to check for a boot disk on boot, have you tried putting in the Windows CD and turning the machine on?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit