Help! How do I get my computer to reboot?

by MsMcDucket 15 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Ok, I had this scrap file appear on the computer. The next day the computer was running sluggishly, so my daughter did a hard shut down on it. She did this because task manager wouldn't come up, and because the mouse had went bezerk. Now this is happening:

I have a problem. My other computer won't let me reboot it. It says something like insurmountable space being used. It then says reboot in safe mode. When I reboot in safe mode, and then try to get the computer running, the same message pops up again. Is there a way that I can get around this?
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hopefully somebody more savvy than I can give you better advice, MsMcD, but for now could you post the full text of the error message you're getting? Make sure you get it word for word and all spelling correct. (I'll be searching google for it and/or phrases from it to see who else has hit it and how they fixed it.)

Dave

• slugga
    slugga

Well assuming that its windows Xp running on that computer and assuming that the error message is about unmountable space and assuming that you have a windows xp set up / install disk, you can do this to fix an unmountalbe drive.

Boot to the xp cd (That means put the windows cd into your computer and reboot it., if it doesn't work you're going to have to change the boot order in the computers bios) and choose repair. (NOTE: if you did not supply an admin password when installing xp just hit enter when asked for the password.) When the recovery console starts you should type in the following command. chkdsk /r and hit enter it will then go through a 0% - 100% process. Then type in the command fixboot and hit enter

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Slugga, how do I get to bios? The boot disc doesn't work. It just goes back to the blue screen saying that windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Something about un-mountable disc space. It says to go to bios, too. But there's no way to get there. Safe mode rebooting isn't working.

• ballistic
    ballistic

It varies from computer to computer but for most it is the delete key during boot up. Turn the PC on and press the del key straight away and hold it down constantly until the bios screen pops up.

There you will get the option to change the 1st boot device to another drive \ disk of your choice.

• free2beme
    free2beme

CRTL+ALT+DELETE or in more extreme cases, pull the plug

• ballistic
    ballistic

Once booted from a seperate device, I would go to the command prompt and type "chkdsk C: /f"

This will not only check and fix errors on the boot drive but might give an indication of what the problem is (if the disk is full) as the error message you originally gave us was not quite right.

• TD
    TD

The keystroke to access the BIOS during boot varies by vendor and manufacturer. Usually the BIOS post screen tells you, but with CPU speeds so fast anymore, that screen zips by sometimes even before the monitor has warmed up Dells can be DEL, F1 or F2 eMachines are DEL Gateways can be F1 or F2 HP's can be F1 of F2 or sometimes Esc

• ballistic
    ballistic

I have something for you TD...

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The computer is my daughter's she always runs several programs at once. Anyway, she's managed to get "the blue screen of death" on there. There's nothing that I can do to get the computer to reboot. I don't won't her blowing this one up. I'm going to have to share this one with her....tsk...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit