Penultimate - What is this word for?

by AlmostAtheist 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Can a penultimatum be something that comes before an ultimatum?

:-) I really liked this one!

I checked its usage on http://scholar.google.com and found that it was being used pretty extensively. There was "penultimate pregnancy" referring to the pregnancy that preceeded this one. (Previous pregnancy wouldn't be accurate, since any pregancy before this one would be previous.) There were some heavy-duty papers on chemistry that referred to the "penultimate" this or that, which had an influence on the behavior of the last whats-it. So apparently this word is in pretty common use. It's even used correctly in hundreds of news articles.

Switch to the general web, though, and you see scads of pages using it as a higher form of "ultimate". Hmmmm... Do you use it, to feel smart? Or avoid it, because you ARE smart and don't want your listeners off in left field? Or do you reserve it for things you hope get picked up by Scholar.Google? :-)

Me, I'm not into elaborate nomenclature. To what purpose would I employ a voluminous expression, when a more diminutive one will suffice?

Dave

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Me, I'm not into elaborate nomenclature. To what purpose would I employ a voluminous expression, when a more diminutive one will suffice?

You're a funny guy dave

• willyloman
    willyloman

Dave had the penultimate post on this thread... until I posted this.

Is there a prize for whoever winds up the next to last poster?

• Neo
    Neo
  • Chimene
    Chimene

Baby you are PENULTIMATE in bed, LOL

• Buster
    Buster

Penultimate is the penultimate word.

• luna2
    luna2

Hmmm...learn something new everyday. I thought I knew what this word meant most ultimate or something. I was completely wrong.

Don't think you'd want to say your bf or husband was "penultimate in bed", Chimeme. That would mean that he was merely the 2nd to last guy you slept with. Hehehe

• Chimene
    Chimene

Luna2, LOLOLOLOL!

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Your penultimate wit is rapier sharp... or ... sharp as a marble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit