Penultimate - What is this word for?

by AlmostAtheist 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

This has been on mind for days now, and research hasn't shed any light on it. So I turn to the great minds of JWD to rescue me!

Why on earth does the word "penultimate" exist? It means "next to last", so if you're reading a 20-chapter book, the 19th chapter is the penultimate chapter. It doesn't mean "super-ultimate", it doesn't have anything to do with the common definition of "ultimate". (Though they may be related etymologically.)

Why would we want a word like this? What do you use it for? Has it been used in some great literary work, or does it have a use poetically?

You can't really use it in normal conversation, since it's likely to be misunderstood. But even if you could, why would you?

Just for kicks, there's even "antepenultimate", meaning "coming before the next to the last in a series". When would you EVER need this word?!?

Dave

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

You might want to use it to try to impress your girlfriend!!!

Swalker

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think it is one of those roller pens with ultra fine felt point for ultimate writing with a pen>

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Antepenultimate

I have learned a new word. Dave, I love you.

But to be back on topic, I believe the word, "penultimate" exists only for public speakers, politicians, and pundits to misuse when referring to the most or to the extreme.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

when referring to the most or to the extreme.

Whisper that in your girlfriend's ear....

Swalker

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Or when you are out to dinner;
    "Would you like the penultimate meatball, honey?"

• Clam
    Clam

Can a penultimatum be something that comes before an ultimatum?

I'm hoping this is going to be the antepenultimate post in this thread.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Clam...I see that you're from the U.K. but didn't post on the OMG!!! The British are Hot!!! thread.....

Postpenultimate to you!!!

Swalker

• Clam
    Clam

Swalker I did !

I put a piccie up of Terry Thomas saying HEELLLLOO and remarked that my favourite accent was that of Southern belles.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Sorry, I must have missed that!!! I was just trying to figure out how to use the new word!!!

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit