How many raised as a JW have a hard time remembering holidays?

by still angry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• still angry
    still angry

I'm asking this because I found myself in an bad spot Monday night. My daughter is almost three and goes to a little preschool thing each day. They were to have a Valentine's Day party on Tuesday, for which I was to bring fruit, etc. Her teacher included a list of all the children and teachers names, which probably should've been my first clue, but I had nothing to base this on.

So, at 9:30 pm, I'm on the phone with my sister-in-law who asks what kind of cards Katie picked out for her classmates. I said, "Huh?" Cards? Cchhwwhhaatt? She then explained the whole ritual to me, of which I had been oblivious as I was always whisked out of classrooms at this point as a child. Holy cripes, I was up 'til 1am with my scrapbooking stuff, making 36 cards out of construction paper, glue and stickers. I was exhausted Tuesday, but quite pleased that I didn't let the JW's get the best of me! Unfortunately, my daughter then puked all over the floor five minutes into her party and had to go home early, but dang it! She had the best looking Valentines Cards! :-)

The point is, I constantly seem to find myself disenchanted or just plain forgetful of significant holidays throughout the year. My husband totally gets annoyed with me as he's a Christmas (raised Catholic) junky, but I don't know how to explain this to him, and other relatives of whom obviously unintentionally dissed over the years. My sister-in-law says I'm hopeless. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you tell your friends or relatives?

Thanks in advance!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The only one I really forget is Easter. The wife will give me a choccy bunny and I'll say "aw shit!!" I feel bad that I've forgotten about that one three years in a row.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I'm not a JW and I'm a total holiday freak, so I don't forget any holidays, but my boyfriend is a JW, and while he scorns holidays and tries his best to ignore them, he still had to ask me last week when Valentine's Day was. He knew it was coming up, he just didn't know the date.

Not that it really mattered. I sent him a card, of course, but he didn't do anything for me. I think he was just curious as to the exact date.

-Becka :)

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

YES!!! And the funny thing is... I love the holidays! All of them!

The worst thing is birthdays though... I've gotten myself in a crapload of trouble with those, and by DF'd relatives who should understand no less. I use Outlook for my email though- I've learned to set popups to remind me.

• Dune
    Dune

I remember one birthday party for me (I was four) and two or three christmases. That was in 1989-1990. For my birthdayI got a remote control submarine and this gorilla that you set to climb a line across the room. I remember that i spent most of my time playing with the submarine in the bathroom rather than with the other kids partying. (I still have the picture).

• KW13
    KW13

only now at my age do i remember when Christmas is, i don't know valentines day and not Bonfire night either. Only been out about nearly 4 years, 3 i think.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    Bonfire night

Ooo, finally, someone else who knows what Bonfire Night is!! It's good to know I'm not the only one!!

It's in the first week of November, either Nov. 4th or Nov. 5th, I'm not quite sure when, I haven't been to a bonfire in a few years.

• KW13
    KW13

nice to know were not alone, i thought it was just a daft british thing...whoo!

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    nice to know were not alone, i thought it was just a daft british thing...whoo!

Hehehe, it is a "daft British thing" - Newfoundland was a British colony until 1949 and we still have all of our British traditions. Hell, Canada was a British colony until 1867, some parts of it later, so we still do everything according to Britain. You know that the Queen is our head-of-state?? And we have Boxing Day after Christmas, too. Ooo, and since I'm an Anglican, we sing "God Save The Queen" in church.

You "daft British" people aren't the only ones who do the things you do.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Me! Me! Me!! I have had a terrible time remembering birthdays, even still....having never given anyone a birthday anything until I was in my 20s....

Mother's Day too....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit