If you were newly inactive, did you feel pressure to attend the Memorial?

by truthseeker 28 Replies latest jw friends

• amused
    amused

No one has ever pressured my wife and I to attend, it is just assumed that you will. I am not sure how I feel about attending. Not attending is one of the really big taboos and I find myself uncomfortable either way I go. To boot, my brother claims to be of the anointed and we attend the same cong. If we stayed away it would surely draw attention to my wife and I. We've been trying to fly beneath the radar and have been pretty successful so far. I am not even sure when it is this year.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Last year was the year that I was really 'missing' meetings and had by then become officially inactive, in that, I had not turned in any field service time and was making very few meetings.

Considering that:

a) virtually my entire family are witnesses

&

b) my nephew was giving the memorial talk in his congregation

I went. But it was really interesting. The memorial talk, with it being so much about Jesus, was incredibly beautiful, very moving. I'm glad that I went, under the circumstances that I had. There was definitely a large amount of pressure, but over the months that followed, that which I dealt with for the memorial, was nothing compared to what would be.

blessings

meagan

• geevee
    geevee

So out of curiosity [which did kill the cat] when is the memorial this year?

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

A few years ago, I was contacted by this young man whose girlfriend had started studying with the JWs. It was starting to affect their relationship in a bad way. She was going to meetings all of the time and was not associating with their friends anymore. She was invited to the Memorial and was really into it and begged her boyfriend to go with her. I was coaching him on what to say and how to say it etc.

Well, they both went to the Memorial and it was such a big let down for this girl that she quit studying.........and there was much rejoicing from this girl's boyfriend and this girl's family.

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I have been wondering what to do this year.

I haven't been to a meeting in over a year, but I did go to the memorial last year. Now, I feel like the people at the hall are sort of used to NOT seeing me there. In addition, the elders were calling here for a while and trying to get in touch with me. I like being out of sight, out of mind.

The thing is, I don't know if I'm drawing more attention to myself by going, or by not going.

The actual Memorial 'celebration' means nothing to me. I don't believe that only 144,000 have a special relationship with Christ.

GGG

• Legolas
    Legolas

I have been thinking what I am going to say to any elder...IF they bother to come around to invite us.....I don't want to be mean or anything but I do want to say something that might plant a seed ...Any suggestions?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes. It was the only meeting I attended last year. I will not be attending the celebration of a mass rejection of Christ this year.

AuldSoul

• atypical
    atypical

I am having trouble making up my mind. I don't believe even slightly in the ritual anymore. I would only go for my wife and family, who of course think it is such a big deal. But if I go, I will have to endure stares, questions, and comments. I'm not sure if I'm up for it or not. I think I would be tempted to down the crappy wine and yell, "I'm Rick James, bitch!!!"

• greendawn
    greendawn

No they came round to tell me that I should be going out on the fs, that I was becoming inactive, of course I didn't as I had decided to give it up for good as I no longer believed the JWs were a sound religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit