What was your thoughts when your cong was studying the "Rev" book for BStdy

by booker-t 3 Replies latest social humour

• booker-t
    booker-t

I have heard alot of ex-jws say that the "Rev" book was a big joke and they could not believe the things written in it by the GB. I know that the Rev book came out in 1988 but I left in 1990 and had faded around the time the book came out. I was just wondering what did the book say that caused you devout JW's at the time to think to yourself "they got to be kidding"? I remember when I was a devout JW and an article came out about the "Trinity" and John 20:28 was being discussed in the Wt magazine. The writer made a big goof and said (I am paraphrasing) "Had the Apostle John said "the God" instead of "My God" then Jesus would be identified with being God. And I almost fell over in my chair at the WT study because I knew that the greek says "the God of Me" and "the Lord of Me" at John 20:28. So I wondered why the writers of that Wt would hang themselves like that. So this is an example I had with something that the WT society said in their mags or books that threw me for a loop. So what were your thoughts as you were studying the "Rev" book? JW's or ex-JW's can respond.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Good point on that one.

But I was really young when we studied the Rev. book. I just remember the pictures to be scary.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

Even after the second time, I kept thinking; how did they come up with that?The conductor kept saying how blessed we were to receive such revelations.

• Cellist
    Cellist

It was a dreadful book. One thing that struck us is that the warnings to the seven congregations fit the organization, even though they tried to apply them to "Christendom".

Another thing is that they got the order of the trumpets all wrong. It's bad enough that they applied them to those non-event conventions, but they had the trumpet blasts starting with the seventh, then the fifth and sixth, and then 1,2,3 and 4. I guess they don't teach them how to count in the University of Awake.

Cellist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit