So much criticism...but what's the answer?

by thankyou12 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi Thankyou12. Welcome to the board.

Cellist

• uriah
    uriah

Seems to me now, as the bible says that Christ left for us a model, to follow his footsteps closely. No where is it shown that Jesus followed an organisation. He left an example of how we should treat people and expounded love and turning the other cheek. As has been mentioned, Love your neighbour as yourself. The bible also says '..to the making of many books there is no end and much devotion to them is wearisom to the soul, the end of the matter, everything having been heard is fear the true God and keep his commandments for this is the whole obligation of man' ( It was always a puzzel as a small child why there were so may books at the KH which we had to study when I read that scripture) Well, Jesus told us - fear God, love your neighbour as yourself. What more do you need. No organisation can better that. The trouble with organisations and religions, for me, is this: they start out OK, but then someone always wants to start to tell you what to do and make you agree with his/her point of view and to make sure you do they invent this rule and that rule and then rules need rules and you end up with what was a loose association of like minded individuals turning into the WTBTS or some other such thing. Christ died for me. I will stand before God at the appointed time as an individual. There is no group judgement. You stand or fall by your own life actions. Do what Christ said and you won't go far wrong That is my 2 p's worth

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Welcome thank you12,

I think purplesofa, spectre, jgnat and others expressed my sentiments well. I know it's a bit disconcerting to say the least when suddenly (or over time), the truth we knew is no longer the truth. In our former life, everything was explained to us, wrapped up in a neat and tidy package. As long as we had The Truth it was comforting and protective.

In my opinion, I don't think there's one truth in real life since our existence is so diverse and evolutionary. What's true to me may not be true to you or the next person and so forth, and what was true a few weeks ago may not be true now. That's how life is. Imagine for one moment what life would be like if we all sought the truth in ourselves while respecting the truths in others? Once religion (in all it's forms) came into the picture some 6000 years ago, the truth has been hidden and disguised.

Best wishes on your most wonderful and privileged journey. Today is the first day of the rest of your life (sorry I know this is a bit Oprahish).

(ps. I would like to add to be cautious, you may be contacted by some people who use this discussion board to recruit members for specific belief systems. Give yourself some time and find your own)

• joelbear
    joelbear

in the real world you find most truth for yourself by careful observation and research.

discussion allows you to hears others opinions

churches are just trying to sell you something.

• ezra
    ezra

here is the first step you asked what is truth,in the bible jesus was quoted during a prayer to his father jehovah your word is truth.so gods word the bible is truth.the next step is at john 17;3,jesus pointed out that in order to have everlasting life we need to take in accurate knowledge of who god is and who jesus is individually and in relation to each other,notice jesus said accurate knowledge,and the only place that we can find accurate knowledge of god an jesus is in the bible,i know you asked what is christianity and maybe was thinking who says what christians should and how to behave and so on......and who really is worshipping god acceptably and it seems that everyone seems to have an opinion on this matter,but whose opinion ,when looking for information about god should we look to,him,his word.i could explain to you all the answers that you requested but that would be like teaching algebra to someone who has not mastered the skills of addition,if this thread is not cancelled i will share more with you if you would like,or you can privately send a message,but there is one thing that is very important to remember,when we wish to worship god acceptably do we go with the status quo or do we look to god for instruction on how to worship him,honestly who has the right to set guidelines for worshipping our creator man or god.if we listened to other men then who would we in actuality be worshipping,i hope this tidbit of info sheds some light and helps you to think about gods point of view and what he requires of us,but also maybe whets your appetite for answers to questions like why does god allow suffering,or a very often asked question what does god think about the plight and sufferring of man,how does he feel?why do so many claim to be christian and say they follow the scriptures but yet teach different beliefs?

• Flash
    Flash

I worship Jehovah away from His people as a Christian NOT as a Paulite. The Old Testament is not my primary guide.

Pauls writtings are to be greatly scrutinized to separate his opinions from Christ's instruction, Matt. 24:15b. Jesus wants us to use our minds and think criticaly and not to have to be spoon fed everything, Matt. 16: 11.

1Kings 19: 14 and 18 pretty well sums up my feelings toward God's people today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit